Google Develops, To Use It's Own DRM

Mike Rochip

Oooo... this could be bad. I happen to love Google; I use their search engine, their email, their instant messenger... the list goes on. I may have to start searching elsewhere soon. Let's just hope they don't turn into another Microsoft!

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

I agree with all the comments.

The story of the Internet and everything on it seems to be:

A great idea

Everything's free and available to everyone

People contribute ideas, input, and effort to make it better

Somebody somewhere figures out how to charge for it

The first three things are gone forever

• Moderators

google, is going to release the "Goo", their attempt at topping the ps3, and xbox 360

Uh huh, and it will be the first console consumers can change the shape of by popping it in the microwave for 30 seconds, it's also indestructible unless of course it's eaten however eating it will void the warranty. Early rumors state that it will ship in a Campbell's? Soup can since Campbell's? will be manufacturing "Goo" through a joint venture. There's also speculation that "Goo" may just be a development name, and it could receive a final name of Dirty Rotten Manwich ("DRM") for short if Hunts? decides to join the venture. There's another rumour that Silly Putty is unhappy, they really wanted to manufacture "Goo" since they are really good a making goo.

Let's hope it doesn't transition into anything more than that...

Most likely wishful thinking. :(

ding, ding!

Let's hope it doesn't transition into anything more than that...

Most likely wishful thinking. :(

One article I read says that's the big problem. As each organization creates its own DRM, less things will work together, or be easy for the consumer to access. The best example is Apple's iPod and iTunes. It is possible that some day we will need different software and/or hardware to play different forms of content, or even the same forms of content, such as needing different software depending on who owns the content, who has the right to distribute the content, how long we have the right to access it (Forget about "owning" anything you download), etc.

Also in the (near) future, look for DRMs to migrate from the Internet and into many of the services and products you use that are totally unrelated to the Internet. Lexmark has a microchip in some of its toner cartridges that competing toner company products do not and of course they will not work in Lexmark printers that require them. US courts have already ruled that these competing companies may not reverse engineer these chips or develop chips that "fool" the Lexmark printers. The problem is, of course, that competitors' cartridges would be less expensive than OEM Lexmark. You, as the consumer, agree to this by opening the packaging.

Wait 'till cars have DRM :o !

Lexmark has a microchip in some of its toner cartridges that competing toner company products do not and of course they will not work in Lexmark printers that require them. US courts have already ruled that these competing companies may not reverse engineer these chips or develop chips that "fool" the Lexmark printers. The problem is, of course, that competitors' cartridges would be less expensive than OEM Lexmark. You, as the consumer, agree to this by opening the packaging.

So basically, competition ceases to exist. Without competition, products will cease to get better or cheaper. In fact, the prices may rise, while the product loses abilities or features! And anyone who manages to hack the system and make a similar product for free is likely to be sued.

This is definitely frightening stuff. What if DRM does enter into other domains, such as automobiles or appliances? When everything becomes proprietary, what happens to freedom of choice?

When the only app that opens a .doc is MS Office, how will people on a budget be able to type and read these files? When the only way I can edit a certain image format is with Adobe Photoshop, how will I be able to share my pictures with my friends who can't shell out $600 for a stupid app?!

DRM is unlogical, unreasonable, unfair, and dare I say, unconstitutional. Frankly, with DRM in effect, I feel like my rights are being crapped on. This sucks.

ding, ding!

http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottdrm

Sign this pledge at PledgeBank to boycott DRM and make a statement that you value your freedom.

-

I dont have any media files with DRM on my computer. I will try avoid it the absolutely best I can. I am strongly against DRM (Digital Restriction Management). I dislike alot .wma and .wmv and such. I like .ogg (Ogg Vorbis).

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• Moderators

(Forget about "owning" anything you download), etc.

Surprise; any audio CD a consumer "buys" isn't really their property, they've only bought a license to use it an unlimited amount of times. Now let's say someone "buys" an audio CD and rips it to mp3's, they can listen to those mp3's all they want - however if they sell the original audio CD or give it away they no longer have the right to keep the encoded mp3's since they've forfeited/voided the purchase by getting rid of the original audio CD. I know it's completely silly.

I agree with you guys (again).

A lot of people think this borders on paranoia, but the more reading one does, the more alarming the predictions become. This is not science fiction and the more we think it can't or won't happen, the more likely it is that it will.