Regression in 2.11 - speed decrease defrag from filelist

Hi all.

I don't know whether this qualifies as bug or not but has anyone noticed DF is somewhat slower when defragging files from the filelist in medium-sized partitions?

I am pretty sure it was faster before. This is also noticeable when defragging just folder entries.

DF 2.11 running under Win7 x64.

PS - Maybe I am being too picky here. I need someone to confirm.

Maybe, because you don't have the pro version. Go to help/about & you will see they introduced a new pro version feature in 2.11 of Defraggler.

Or, maybe because they introduced better SSD support & ability to ignore removable drives & other features.

I'm pretty sure your right about the slowdown. I run 2.10 portable for now.

• Moderators
Maybe, because you don't have the pro version. Go to help/about & you will see they introduced a new pro version feature in 2.11 of Defraggler.

As Piriform isn't known to hobble thier free software as opposed to their Pro, I find it pretty baseless that you would suggest that. com'on son.

My guess, (as the "business defraggler" link leads to the same page as the "home" one) that the only difference is for now priority support.

I'll ask in the staff lounge but i'd look for other reasons for now

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

As Piriform isn't known to hobble thier free software as opposed to their Pro, I find it pretty baseless that you would suggest that. com'on son.

I was halfway joking on that one. :P My guess is something to do with the new code they introduced. Not sure what part...

Perhaps it is slower because it is more effective in what it achieves.

I believe there have been complaints about fragmentation of files when defragging free space,

which implies that when focussing on the defragging of files then free space becomes fragmented.

For those that are concerned with achieving perfection it might be informative to take an image of a partition with fragmentation of both files and free space,

and then observe how many passes and total duration of v2.10 are required for adequate "perfection",

and then restore the partition image and repeat the actions with version 2.11.

N.B

Macrium Reflect will, by default, restore the fragmentation of what was imaged.

My experience of Acronis, and I have heard of Ghost also, is that by default they defrag as they restore.

• Moderators

My guess, (as the "business defraggler" link leads to the same page as the "home" one) that the only difference is for now priority support.

I'll ask in the staff lounge but i'd look for other reasons for now

to quickly follow up on this point, the only difference between Free and Pro is priority support and auto-update (including silent)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com