Defraggler & Speechy combined Killed my disk

Yuggy

IMPORTANT WARNING

Had defraggler 2.1 running in background low priority on 80Gb usb external disk and ran speccy 1.16 to check my disks list.

speccy froze in hard disk section... Tryed to close speccy without success... Got xp blue screen of death & reboot.

Tryed to run speccy in debug mode and it froze without a log.

80Gb external disk usb 2.0 completely dead & unrecognisable by windows xp.

WARN USERS NOT TO USE BOTH PGMS AT SAME TIME... IT COULD COST THEM A DRIVE LIKE ME.

• Moderators

Just in case it was Speccy and not Speechy (good catch Alan) I find it hard to understand why you would even consider running one app (Speccy) to search the hard drive while another app (defraggler) is busy moving bits of it around.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I wasn't even aware Speccy directly interfaced with hard drives. Doesn't it do everything through WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) queries?

I'm Shane.

• Moderators

80Gb external disk usb 2.0 completely dead & unrecognisable by windows xp.

Hi Yuggy.

Have you tried to fix the drive, and is it actually dead or just not being recognized by Windows?

Or is it that the data on the drive is not being recognized?

Different versions of Windows have various ways of fixing things.

What version of Windows are you using ?

Perhaps your computer hardware or software has a problem.

Can you try your external disk on a different computer to see if the problem is definitely with the disk ?

And / Or can you swap out the hard disk and swap back into the same USB port another disk or flash drive and access this other device ?

Sorry follks for thinking that Piriform had something to do with that...

I found out that my power supply is failing, my 5 volt is about 4.5, so the usb disk did not have enough juice to start anymore

Thanks to Alan_B idea, tried it on a second computer, disk worked fine so i added a transformer for my external disk and it's fine now.

To answer hazelnut, i ran speccy to do the inventory of my pc contents because i had to calculate the power supply needs for my new Asus p9x79 pc

Asus calculator told me that i needed at least 900W with the number of drives i actually have and my actual power supply is only 450W.

Thanks to all for your help