MP3 Players

Inu-Ya

Hi there, I've got an MP3 player here from Philips "2GB* Micro jukebox HDD082/17 "

The thing is here. I've been hearing and have known a good bit of friends of mine that there MP3 players HD went dead or crash with-in two weeks or later. Has this ever happen to any of the users here? Hopefully it won't with me :blink:

But some MP3, Well... most, have built-in battiers and that can cause a problem. Charging the battier along time are charging it further then what it should be charged. Some have the function to stop when the battier is full and some without a built-in battier keep on going till you know what happens.

Just a heads up that you should really watch out for what you buy. It's not about the higher the price it is the better. It's the company you mostly trust in and mine are the well known brands like philips.

Have a nice year everyone.

• Moderators

No offence but that mp3 player is ugly, and it seems like it wouldnt be very comfortable to use the menus(if it does playlists.)

I just got a five gig rio carbon pearl. I also got some really good sony fontopia ear buds.

Also why do you keep writing battiers?(I saw it once and thought it was a typo).

No offence but that mp3 player is ugly, and it seems like it wouldnt be very comfortable to use the menus(if it does playlists.)

I just got a five gig rio carbon pearl. I also got some really good sony fontopia ear buds.

Also why do you keep writing battiers?(I saw it once and thought it was a typo).

25138[/snapback]

It was a typo :unsure: "I hate my keyboard though I'll give you that"

Come on.... :huh: . It's not that bad looking. Plus It is easy to go around. You have a choice by going through Artist and what not. Now if they did not have that I'd be pissed. Having to go through 302 songs :lol:

But mine is good no matter what anyone says. that's there saying on it and not mine B)

• Moderators
It was a typo  :unsure: "I hate my keyboard though I'll give you that"

25141[/snapback]

You typed the same thing a couple of times. I had no clue why you were doing that. :lol:

The player isnt bad the buttons just look like a pain. To me it dosent look like you could navigate the playlists with one hand.

You typed the same thing a couple of times. I had no clue why you were doing that. :lol:

The player isnt bad the buttons just look like a pain. To me it dosent look like you could navigate the playlists with one hand.

25146[/snapback]

How long have you had yours anyway? If you could, I would like to see an Image of yours :rolleyes:

Harddisk is mechanical device with movable parts so it is more prone to fault.

If I bought a MP3 player (which should be refered to as 'portable audio player' or something, since most of them support more formats than just MP3), then I would get one with flash memory.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• Moderators
Harddisk is mechanical device with movable parts so it is more prone to fault.

Most of the newer ones are much better and hardly ever get issues due to movement.

(the first ipods were terrible)

If I bought a MP3 player (which should be refered to as 'portable audio player' or something, since most of them support more formats than just MP3)

Your right but thats just one of those things thats not going to change(or at least for a long time). Its like how the lead in a pencil isnt really lead its graphite but people still call it lead.(better examples are out there but thats all I could think of. :D )

, then I would get one with flash memory.

25162[/snapback]

Flash players are good but most of them are cheaply made. Plus they rarely come over a gig and about 4 gigs at the most.

• Moderators

I have over 2000 audio cd's (originals), maybe more, and have ripped each one except for a few that were too scratched to rip successfully with EAC or CDex.

If I were to get a portable audio player it would have to have built-in Replaygain support and play all four of the formats I use before I'd even consider it which are MP3, MusePack (.mpc), Ogg Vorbis (.ogg), and last but not least WavPack (.wv). Yeah MP3 is supported but it isn't gapless, and I know Ogg Vorbis which is gapless is supported in some players but results into poor battery life, but what I really want is MusePack which is also gapless to be supported however with current licensing, etc., I doubt it will happen anytime soon or at all.

I dislike WMA (Windows Media Audio), I also dislike QT (QuickTime) and RM (RealPlayer Media).

MP3 is most wide spread so I have many of those.

My preference however is Ogg Vorbis (.ogg), it offers greater compression, better quality, and is completely free specification.

I have over 2000 audio cd's (originals), maybe more, and have ripped each one...

Wow, that is a huge and impressing collection. I hope you have done a remote backup so you dont loose everything.

That is about 40.000 songs! o.o

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

• Moderators
Wow, that is a huge and impressing collection. I hope you have done a remote backup so you dont loose everything.

That is about 40.000 songs! o.o

25213[/snapback]

Everythings been backed up for at least two or three years now, all in archival quality MP3, MusePack (.mpc), Ogg Vorbis (.ogg), and WavPack (.wv). The only thing though is it took at least one full year of ripping and encoding each and everyday to just backup all those audio cd's, and subsequently the ripping mayhem/frenzy completely killed my Toshiba SD-M1202 DVD drive that didn't cache audio (evil) which could rip just about anything thrown at it. I only wish all my current drives could rip as well and accurately as that old dearly departed Toshiba DVD drive, I suppose it's ripping some audio cd's in "Hardware Heaven."

I forgot I also backed up two full DVD's worth in capacity of audio cassettes. It took me a little over a month to record them via line-in, and then split the tracks in CoolEdit 2000, and then encode them all to LAME --preset standard which was the recommended LAME setting at the time.

Whoa much work...

Very much effort, especially the audio tapes.

It is very good that you did backups on them.

If your Toshiba DVD was so good, maybe you should invest in another DVD from Toshiba.

Maybe you should back it up on more than just some DVD because DVD can get scratch, break etc. You might want backup to a HDD too, or 2-3 sets of DVD. Then store one set of DVD in dark place with no heat, no cold, no sunlight. And other DVD set send to another house so if burglar or fire burn house down you dont loose your music. :D

Or you can back up on Internet, upload to private archive.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

• Moderators
If your Toshiba DVD was so good, maybe you should invest in another DVD from Toshiba.

25239[/snapback]

I probably wouldn't have any luck finding a new one that didn't cache audio, which is evil when attempting to rip audio securely, well at least EAC can disable the caching but I'd still prefer drives without audio caching.

Maybe you should back it up on more than just some DVD because DVD can get scratch, break etc. You might want backup to a HDD too, or 2-3 sets of DVD. Then store one set of DVD in dark place with no heat, no cold, no sunlight. And other DVD set send to another house so if burglar or fire burn house down you dont loose your music. :D

25239[/snapback]

I know all about creating more than one backup, when it comes to my audio collection you're talking to Mr. Paranoid. I have all files backed up on CD-R, and duplicates backed up on DVD+R, whatsmore I don't even touch those discs so as to not introduce dust, fingerprints, scratches, etc. For now I still listen to the original audio CD's and some of which are over twenty years old but still look brand new because I take care of them and store them properly.

At some point if money permits me to do so I want all those encoded audio files to permanently live on a Windows driven music system operated via a laptop using probably external hard disks, and of course a remote control, with the sound coming out of some good Altec Lansing speakers or Bose Speakers (or whatever I can afford). Until then I can only dream about it -- but that's my goal.