XP Search in Windows 7

Super Fast

There are a few functions I liked specific to XP Search, such as the ability to search only for photos, only for videos, etc. & only on certain drives for files/folders/whatever.

I am wondering if it is possible to import the XP Search to W7, or if not, if anyone knows an XP Search clone?

Currently, I am looking at the following:

_____

1. Installing: Open Explorer and go to the Windows\Inf folder. Locate the srchasst.inf file. Right click it and select Install. You'll need your XP CD or the files from the I386 folder. (This fix will require you to have your Win XP CD).

2. Registering srchui.dll: regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\srchasst\srchui.dll

3. Commands:

- start > run > regsvr32 /i C:\Windows\Srchasst\srchui.dll

- start > run > regsvr32 /i urlmon

- regsvr32 jscript

- right-click windows/inf/srchasst.inf > install

I am not sure if I were to collect all the .dll files & or run the install command after placing these in an appropriate directory, what might happen.

If I can do this, I may be willing to live with XP limitation on number of files it can search (Locks up on a few thousand, perhaps 5k or so, results), but I am also thinking that Windows 7 (being able to open directories of more than 22,000) may enable it to work better under 7, perhaps?

_____

And if you know a search clone, or a good search util, let me know! Currently, I use Locate32 due the lightning speed of indexing & the win98-ish style search that enables you to search for files containing text but I would like a program similar to XP if I can't directly import the XP version into 7...

I successfully did get Windows 7 to work, & also Vista with XP image viewer, but you have to change the compatibility setting in the registry to XP for Vista, & to Vista for 7.

On that part, I just need an installer that will block installs unless they are using Windows 7, etc, but I am not sure which installer would be a good one to go with for that. So for now, I use RAR SFX...

_____

Long story short, anyone know:

- Anything else that may help me before attempting to import XP Search to 7, or an XP Search "clone"? Or a good search util?

- A good installer program that only allow installs to certain OS? I need it to restrict which OS XP Image Viewer gets installed to. Etc.

• 3 weeks later...