Has your Windows Defragger vanished?

kroozer

Mine disappeared -- gone forever on my Vista 32-bit pc.

Wanted to run Windows Defragmenter for comparison with Defraggler 2.08. The setting ☐Replace Windows Disk Defragmenter has never been ticked. But every time I tried to run Win Defragger, Defraggler opened. I clean uninstalled v2.08 and went all the way back to v1.21 which doesn't have that replace option, yet it still opened Defraggler. Uninstalled Defraggler and tried running Windows Defragmenter again, but Windows reported that I have no defragmenter installed. I managed to stop that message box from appearing with a System Restore, but clicking Defragment Now only opens Defraggler.

Went to Microsoft website, found 3 repair fixes, none worked. MS advises a replacement defragger is not available and that I must use a commercial program.

Checked my Win7 64-bit pc and fortunately :) it still has the Windows Defragmenter, and works ok.

So I'm asking other members using Defraggler on Vista 32-bit to check if their Windows Defragmenter is still working.

• Moderators

I guess you have tried all the things mentioned here

http://www.zimbio.co...sk+Defragmenter

Is your page file on another drive?

I guess an sfc didn't help kroozer?

Perhaps defraggler overwrote the vista defragger registry entry

http://www.ehow.com/...won_t-work.html

Lets see if anyone replies here and then see where we go from here.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I have had this issue several times under W7 x86. It seems some other defraggers/software will corrupt defrag schedule on registry.

Try deleting contents of:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\Windows\Defrag\ScheduledDefrag

But always make a registry backup before touching it.

I have to side with Hazel on this.

Defraggler (to my knowledge) does not overwrite the microsoft dfrgui file itself.

The registry key may change, but the file itself is still there.

Kroozer, why don't you try the following fixes?

- Run System Restore to a prior working date. See if that fixes it. If not,

- Re-install the 2.08, then under the options, checkmark for it to replace MS defragger, & apply/ok. Then, uncheck for it to, apply, & see if that fixes it. If not,

- Open regedit & navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\My Computer\Defrag Path & be sure that it is set to %systemroot%\system32\dfrgui.exe

I believe that one of those should fix it. If not, let us know & I will see what else I can suggest.

*Edit - I am running Windows 7 32 Bit instead of Vista, but I believe the paths should be similar. If the registry path is altered, it will cause Windows to think the Microsoft Defragger is not installed, since it fails to call up the defragger at the default path.

Thank you hazel. :) Your link to ehow fixed the problem. Defraggler was set as default, changed it to

C:\Windows\System32\dfrgui.exe

and it restored Windows Defragmenter.

And thank you Super and Pusher for your input.

Before starting the thread yesterday I spent too much time trying many fixes after MS failed to provide accurate support. :wacko:

MS has a lot of knowledgeable people, but alas, they are not perfect.

It is a good fantasy to envision all knowing computer gods at your beck & call, but the truth is, they all have departments they specialize in.

I liken it to an orchestra. You may have someone gifted in playing a violin that cannot sing a lick. Glad you got it fixed!