Too few junk files (temp?) deleted

BlebNevus

[For some reason, my original post was cut off. Here's the whole message]

Most times when CCleaner analyzes my files, it tells me I have 100s of MBs to be removed. After I run the cleaner, though, it tells me it has removed less than 10 MB.

I?m using the default setting of deleting only temp files more than 24 hours old, but I can?t imagine these current temp files could account for the disparity.

I should mention that I use Firefox as my primary browser, and the only Firefox category that I?ve checked (for removal) is Internet cache. I?ve also left all the default items checked under Windows (including temp files). (I'm using XP.)

Finally, and this may be related, when I look at my system -- c:\documents and settings\...\Local Settings\Temp -- there are typically a whole bunch of subfolders and files that CCleaner doesn?t delete. Why might that be?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

• Moderators

The only reason I can think of why it wouldn't completely empty your Temp folder is because of the 24 hour rule check box. Try unticking that 24 hour rule to see if that remedies the issue, if I'm remembering correctly someone else had the same issue a while back and that fixed it.

Personally I've always had that 24 hour box unticked with no problems.

Thanks for your reply. I have had some problems when I've attempted to delete current temp folders, so I'm hesitant to try that. In any case, the overwhelming majority of the files in my temp folder (untouched by CCleaner) are older, so it's pretty clear that this isn't the cause of the problem.

I have had some problems when I've attempted to delete current temp folders, so I'm hesitant to try that.

If you mean that your manual attempts fail to delete then whatever is blocking you will also block CCleaner when it runs under your authority.

Possibly ACL restrictions or Files locked/in use.

• Moderators

Possibly ACL restrictions or Files locked/in use.

... or even possibly malware protecting itself.

Also can't rule out antivirus/antimalware software since some can use the Temp folder and legitimately block disk cleaning tools from deleting their in use files, etc.

I have similar observation but it is expected, at least in my case. I will explain.

I also use Firefox (FF) as my main browser, and have CC using the 24-hour requirement before deleting temp file.

When I go to my temp directory , it usually has many MBs of temporary BMP files that seem to come from the way Firefox works with some web site page images. So I typically delete these myself on a daily basis when I start up my machine.

Usually saves me anywhere from 10 to 100 MB+.

Just depends on where FF was...

If you use your Windows Explorer/whatever file manager to examine your Temp directory (s) you might find a bunch of stuff there, some of which may be just falling frequently into that category of not-really-needed,-but-not-yet-24-hours-old.

Perhaps this applies to your situation.

I do not consider this to be a bug or flaw in CCleaner.

The Universe is intelligent and friendly 8-)

• Moderators
and have CC using the 24-hour requirement before deleting temp file
well that's why your files are not removed

@BlebNevus can you maybe tell us what files remain?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Yes, I know, that is why I typed it that way.

Because, as I read and understand the ccleaner online documentation, the default is to not remove Temp files which are newer/younger than 48 hours. And so setting the '24 hours' makes it remove a little bit more, but nothing created within last 24 hours.

Are you indicating that perhaps I am understanding that wrong?

If so, a tooltip and/or explanation of what it actually means to set/tick or un-set/un-tick the Advanced/24hour option would help. ;)

The Universe is intelligent and friendly 8-)

• Moderators

yes you are wrong ;)

:P

A checkmark in this option will keep every file in the temp area(s) that was modified between now and 24 hours previous

Without a checkmark this option will Delete every (not-locked by a process) file in the temp area(s)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

But, to return to my original question, why is CC deleting so little of what it identifies as deletable?

Probably what I stated in post #3 and what Nergal stated in posts #9 and #11. I don't want to sound like a broken record here, however it could be the 24 hour rule box which is the most obvious reason.

Other than that if you have messed up Environment Variables or something you've manually changed such as mapping your User Temp folder to elsewhere that could also be the cause.