question about security

jm007

is the speccy profile supposed to show my computer's NetBIOS Name, my domain name, and my DNS name? mine does, and i read that this info could be used to hack my computer. is this true? is there any way for me to delete my speccy profile from the internet? thank you.

is there any way for me to delete my speccy profile from the internet? thank you.

Is there any reason to think Speccy put the profile on the Internet ?

If you want to delete from the Internet any "privacy data" you have posted we can not help without detailed knowledge of where you posted,

and probably not then.

If you posted on a forum whilst seeking advice then you need to contact the forum administration.

• Moderators

Hi jm, and welcome to Piriform.

What you're saying shouldn't happen in any way. You are the first to raise this issue, which may I add doesn't make me disbelieve you for that, it just shows that this is unusual.

We all use Speccy, and it doesn't, or shouldn't, post any information to the internet unless it's a user action of some kind.

To protect your privacy, would it help if you pm'd me the details, and then I can take that to the developers if necessary?

Even if your IP address was exposed exploiting it would be difficulty if you're using Windows XP or higher, running firewall software and or using a NAT router.

Furthermore if you're using a corporate network your IP address would likely to be internal and not accessible from the outside Internet. :)

Richard S.

• Moderators

Correct. This is about the "Publish Snapshot" feature in Speccy.

The snapshot is posted to a Piriform server, and is accessed by a URL unique to the user should they need to send information to a remote helper for example.

The only "personal" type information included in the snapshot is ...

Computer Name

NetBIOS Name: xxxxxxxx

DNS Name: xxxxxxxx

Domain Name: xxxxxxxx

The following information is excluded from the snapshot ...

IP Address xxxxxxxxxx

Subnet mask xxxxxxxxxxx

Gateway server xxxxxxxxxx

And it appears from what I've recently learned, that there isn't a feature to delete that URL should you wish to do so.

Personally, I think the netbios name etc, should also be excluded, because although not a security issue, it is information personal to the Speccy user, and will cause concern as to whether it could be one.

This is really a "for info" post, as the OP's issue has been sorted.

EDIT: http://www.piriform.com/docs/speccy/using-speccy/publishing-a-speccy-profile-to-the-web