Please Help

P3T320r2

Hey all,

Just got a new Laptop, win 7 x64, going through the the things you do to a new pc.

Installed Office, Adobe collection (CS3), Itunes (x64), google chrome, then ccleaner.

I ran the file cleaner, then the registry cleaner after I had installed everything and when I rebooted, nothing worked (with the exception of office). Now, I have used ccleaner on my other 4 system for as long as I remember (which isn't long, I'm 17) and I've never had a problem, therefor I was lulled into believing that I didn't need to backup registry changes (I'm OCD to the max when it comes to disk usage). Adobe products crash, Itunes complains about some assistant not working, chrome simply refuses to start, no error. Office took a while on the first run of word, but now seems to run like normal. Something bad has happened and I do not have backups. I system restored to before the clean, but nothing is fixed. When I ran a second scan (taking no action this time) I noticed some registry entries pertaining to .Net 1.1 files being missing. This is the only thing I can think of that connects all these programs. Re-installing did not fix any of the programs, Itunes just fails a different way and chrome refuses to even uninstall. Please advise, additional details and logs are available upon request.

Peter B

I believe .Net entries ARE in CCleaner list of things to remove. Specifically, I know .Net 1.1 seems to occur in most, if not all versions of CCleaner, & in about all Windows versions as far as I know.

You can try re-installing .Net 1.1, but I don't know if that will fix your problem, if this is the case.

A second bad cause of problems, is the registry cleaner section titled "Unused File Extensions".

If you remove all those, it may cause problems!

I would uncheck that specific entry, & of course, always be careful when removing entries!

I generally do not ever run the registry cleaner unless I have problems.

Even then, if I do, I always uncheck it all, then I group it into sections & remove what is specific to the entries I know for sure I need removed.

Blind trust is bad.

CCleaner itself is usually relatively safe to run, but u gotta be careful with the registry cleaner, & always make a backup!

• Moderators

The deed is done now P3T320r2. You didn't make a backup of ccleaner reg entries, have no system backups and system restore didn't fix things. I believe you also tried reinstalling .net 1.1?

Could there be a possibility you did not reboot after each of the big software installs you made thereby not giving the new programs the chance to settle in temp file wise? Anyway that may be water under the bridge now.

As it's a new install of Win 7 you may have to either have to use the hidden restore to factory settings area, or the restore to factory settings disks you get asked by the machine to make when you first set things up (if you made them)

If it's a Win 7 install disk you have, well you may just have to use it again.

Windows 7 has the ability to make an image, I suggest you do that once you get sorted along with making the repair disk (this is not the same as the 'restore to factory settings' disk)

Let us know how things go.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I believe .Net entries ARE in CCleaner list of things to remove.

I totally disagree.

I fear that a Newbie could understand you to have stated that .NET Framework has been destroyed,

and this has crippled Adobe and iTunes.

I accept that CCleaner may target junk that is created by .NET.

BUT so far as I am aware CCleaner never removes any application or any component of Windows.

My view is that iTunes and Adobe are crippled because they abuse the registry and Services as if they are the only things that matter,

and repairing Windows will not revive a super zap of their registry keys.

I suggest consideration of making a backup of any document/downloads etc. you wish to preserve,

then a fresh installation of Windows and your applications.

• Moderators
then the registry cleaner

this makes me think you were not selective when you "cleaned the registry" thus you removed something needed

if a simple re-install of the programs does not fix the issue, and you have no backups of the ccleaner reg enties removed, than your only recourse is

making a backup of any document/downloads etc. you wish to preserve,

then a fresh installation of Windows and your applications

and

Chalk it up to a learning experience

Next time be more careful with any registry cleaner and follow the advice in my signature.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

...I was lulled into believing that I didn't need to backup registry changes (I'm OCD to the max when it comes to disk usage).

I can understand the OCD part as I suffer from it too - but please do heed the excellent suggestions here, even if it means using up some of that disk space. In the case of the registry backup, the files are quite small, and they can be deleted once you confirm that everything is running correctly after a registry cleaning. Also, don't skip those system and data backups - Murphy's Law guarantees that the one you need will be the one you failed to make!

I've never messed with the registry before so am super cautious before deleting anything! How does one back up the registry before going ahead with deleting a couple of entries that I really do think I can get rid of without fear? (They are mostly entries left after deleting games).

this makes me think you were not selective when you "cleaned the registry" thus you removed something needed

if a simple re-install of the programs does not fix the issue, and you have no backups of the ccleaner reg enties removed, than your only recourse is

and

Chalk it up to a learning experience

Next time be more careful with any registry cleaner and follow the advice in my signature.

I've never messed with the registry before so am super cautious before deleting anything! How does one back up the registry before going ahead with deleting a couple of entries that I really do think I can get rid of without fear? (They are mostly entries left after deleting games).

First you do no more than click on "Fix Selected Issues"

That should result in a pop-up query to which you respond YES, as attached.

That will give you a "Save As" screen with default destination and file name.

You may change the destination and name if you wish, but it will need the default REG extension.

ERUNT is also recommended as a total restoration for a major calamity from any cause.

In my experience CCleaner has never caused such a calamity,

but Microsoft Security Patches and troublesome installations and removals wreak havoc.

post-19700-0-04551400-1315207140_thumb.gif