Defraggler stops doing stuff or really slow.

EraYaN

Hi,

since my windows thought it would be a good idea to not defragment my C: drive by default, it ended up 91% filled and 68% fragmented. Now I let the windows defrag run, it failed at 73% consolidation (just something like 20 kb/s IO). Then I decided to let defraggler handle it. It told me that there was 65% fragmentation in like 3.5 million fragments. (9% free space) it warned me that it would not be able to do it's job because I had less than 5% (!) freespace. Now here is the case it constantly uses 13 percent CPU (one core out of 8 HT cores on i7 @ 4Ghz), at first it raced like 60 MB/s IO in the harddrive. But after like 5 days it stops at 36% at like 100 kb/s IO, so i stop it and re defrag and it races for some time (now shorter) with in 30 mins again failing...

Now i moved some stuff to our home server so now only 1.0 million fragments left. and like 30% freespace.

Now 2 more days of defragging and then i enabled my /debug3 switch (log linked at the end (250MB)), and the same happened again.

now a total of near 9 days (9 times 24 hours) i'm at 51k fragments in 1300 files 190 GB (after I started the windows defrag this morning (it raced, but failed on consolidating..) (7 hours ago))

defraggler now reports 17% fragmentation.

If it really needs more cpu power then let it use all my cpu.. or even half of it.

Screenshots:

First: http://erayan.eu/jing/wut.png (someone can't calculate here?)

Some time later: http://erayan.eu/jing/lawl3.png

After 8 days of defraggler defrag and removing lots of data (so it like cheating 2 million fragments): http://erayan.eu/jing/omahgawd.png

Current (after 9+ days of defraggler and 7 hours of windows defrag): http://erayan.eu/jin...rrentdefrag.png (something is wrong) EDIT: ok wrong tab on the screen shot for "bron controle" but it currently uses like 567345 b/s (varying)

Log: (12+ hours or something, so plenty of stuff I guess): Defraggler64.exe.[2_5_315][2011-06-08_23-13]

Log about 2 hours of defragging inclusive scan for error ("no BIG (?) problems found") Defraggler64.exe.[2_5_315][2011-06-09_20-50]

EraYaN

PS this post is probably full of spelling errors, but well... I just didn't feel like it.

EDIT2: it happend again... it stopped completely, i will start in debug mode again...

EDIT3: added extra log file

PC Specs:

MB: Asrosk Extreme x58

CPU: i-7 920 @ 3,8 Ghz

RAM: Corsair XMS3 (4x2) 8GB DDR-3 1333Mhz Triple Channel

GPU: nVidia GTX 480

HDD:DiamondMax 23 500GB SATA 3Gb/s - STM3500418AS ATA Device 500GB (465 GB)

• 3 months later...

I have experienced similar issues, but in a much less severe situation.

I have a machine with a 640GB hard drive 19% full, and I am frustrated with the low I/O. I would expect that the CPU could keep the hard drive busy, but this is not the case, apparently. I DO have a fairly demanding set of instructions: move all files over 1MB of certain types to the end of the drive, but I would expect that a computer that can calculate 16.7 million digits of Pi in 3.8 seconds could easily keep track of what files to put where without excessive CPU load. I agree that CPU usage is inefficient; even if I set the process priority to "High" it never goes over 70%. The machine is dual-core.

When I first ran defraggler, it was very fast. I suspect that in my case the algorithm for determining file placement (beginning vs. end) is getting in the way of efficient operation. However, it still kept the hard drive busy when I first turned that option on. Now it simply doesn't. I am puzzled to the extreme.

That said, it's a great tool that I plan to keep in the drawer. If this were fixed, it'd be even better.

Judging by the photos your hard drive appears to be lacking in contiguous free space as shown by the lack of white squares.

Try removing junk / temporary files / internet files / cache files (or run CCleaner) / system restore points as well as moving non-essential files to you other drives.

If you're using Vista / Windows it is advisable that you exclude "restore point files" from being defragged.

Richard S.