www.msn and Firefox help!

slowday444

I like the way msn has the news (and other interests) laid out so it's our home page. Although I rarely use hotmail, it is my wifes email client and I see the following all the time and it drives me nuts (but not her). Hotmail and bing searches (which I do use as often as google) open in a non-full screen window with the back arrow disabled. It's not tabbed but the original window (www.msn) is still available in the system tray. I'm sure it's not a Ff issue as it is the only site that exhibits this behavior. Other links on the page open normally, i.e. in a new full screen window (not tab) with the back arrow available. I've tried closing it in full window mode but the next time it does the same thing. I can't find any settings on the site but there must be a setting that can be changed. Can anyone help me change this behavior? Thank you!

Does the backspace key on your keyboard not do the job of the browser back arrow?

Just suggesting this as a temp fix til a FF user rides past :)

Thank you hazelnut! I actually do use that shortcut all of the time but never tried it. Unfortunately no joy. I would surmise that it has something to do with msn's security, if not for the fact that even just a bing search exhibits the same behavior!

edit! It doesn't occur with bing searches if not logged on.

• 3 weeks later...

It would be difficult to help you, as there are too many unknown variables.

- Firefox version?

- Flash version?

- Windows version?

- Toolbars/plugins/add ons?

The simplest solution by far, is to go to start & in the run box, type %appdata% & hit enter key.

Locate Mozilla folder & move it to the desktop.

Totally uninstall firefox, then download the very latest version off filehippo & re-install it.

Try your searches without your old profile first.

If it works, then go to start/run/%appdata% & press enter key

Delete the "new" Mozilla folder there (making sure firefox is closed firstly), then copy the Mozilla folder you moved earlier to this Application Data folder you have open.

Open Firefox, & voila! Your old bookmarks/passwords/etc should pop right up.

Maybe you have Firefox 1.0, or 2.0.0.20, or the 3 series, or the 4, or a combination of "updated" firefoxes till you have boxes that no longer work correctly or look weirdly or act wrongly (it happens... After numerous wildly different updates).

Clean setup of the latest just may fix you up!

Seeing that there are a ton of things that could cause this, that is what I would firstly try to see if this fixes it or not.

The Back Arrow sometimes causes warnings that it will require resending of data.

I think so what !

But perhaps there is a danger that going back and resending data is not entirely under the bank's control,

and some other site may by given my password.

Some banks deliberately disable the Back button.

Perhaps MSN consider their news to be as valuable as "money in the bank",

or perhaps their I.T. Administrator is practising for an Internet Banking job.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be difficult to help you, as there are too many unknown variables.

- Firefox version?

- Flash version?

- Windows version?

- Toolbars/plugins/add ons?

The simplest solution by far, is to go to start & in the run box, type %appdata% & hit enter key.

Locate Mozilla folder & move it to the desktop.

Totally uninstall firefox, then download the very latest version off filehippo & re-install it.

Try your searches without your old profile first.

If it works, then go to start/run/%appdata% & press enter key

Delete the "new" Mozilla folder there (making sure firefox is closed firstly), then copy the Mozilla folder you moved earlier to this Application Data folder you have open.

Open Firefox, & voila! Your old bookmarks/passwords/etc should pop right up.

Maybe you have Firefox 1.0, or 2.0.0.20, or the 3 series, or the 4, or a combination of "updated" firefoxes till you have boxes that no longer work correctly or look weirdly or act wrongly (it happens... After numerous wildly different updates).

Clean setup of the latest just may fix you up!

Seeing that there are a ton of things that could cause this, that is what I would firstly try to see if this fixes it or not.

Since it only occurs logging into hotmail, which I rarely do, I'll just ignore it. I recently restored a MozBackup to check on a rendering issue and things weren't exactly right so I'm not messing with my profile but thank you for the suggestion. I am using Ff v5 by the way!

• Moderators

I tried Firefox 5 yesterday under Returnil, which usually allows an installed program to behave in a perfectly normal manner.

I tried a couple of times, and on both occasions the back button wouldn't work at all, on any site.

Tried running with the standard skin and a couple of long time reliable extensions installed, and no active back button.

This could have been caused by the virtual installation, but I've never yet had a problem trying any previous version of FF, or any browser (or program) for that matter.

Maybe a FF 5 issue, maybe not, but I thought it worth a mention.

I tried Firefox 5 yesterday under Returnil, which usually allows an installed program to behave in a perfectly normal manner.

I tried a couple of times, and on both occasions the back button wouldn't work at all, on any site.

Tried running with the standard skin and a couple of long time reliable extensions installed, and no active back button.

This could have been caused by the virtual installation, but I've never yet had a problem trying any previous version of FF, or any browser (or program) for that matter.

Maybe a FF 5 issue, maybe not, but I thought it worth a mention.

All versions of Firefox have probably functioned in the following manner and I just never paid attention, but different sites definitely render under different parameters. That is to say the back space key doesn't work on every site only the Ff back arrow. I'm going to pay attention but I'm thinking the differences may be whether the site is rendering with http or https. as Alan_B implied.

I'm going to pay attention but I'm thinking the differences may be whether the site is rendering with http or https. as Alan_B implied.

Correction. I did not imply or even suspect - I just knew there was something different,

but I think your interpretation of my evidence is absolutely perfect.