Defraggler shuts down suddenly

I updated to the latest version of Defraggler 2.03

At first glance, it seems faster on my XP SP2 machine, however...

It shut down after the 2cd or 3rd run, & it will analayze, then run Defraggler, then it mysteriously "shuts down" without warning!

Defraggler disappears like a magic hat act.

No stop, pause, no nothing! Gone!

What could cause this?

Defraggler debug log has just been uloaded.

Previous Defraggler 2.02 seemed to work fine.

Just the 2.03 causing problems.

Thanks!

Post can be removed.

I found out the problem.

It appears to be in another program, & not Defraggler itself.

I tried out Auslogics disk cleaner & it seemed to happen right after that. Which, ironically, was when I installed Defraggler 2.03.

I tested 2.02 again, & it also closed out.

Auslogics cleaner took out something it didn't need to, so I located the source of the problem.

Apologies since prior to this, everything was working fine so I thought it was in the new Defraggler.

Thank you guys for such great software.

P.S. I think the new version seems better at file consolidation, & seems faster overall with good improvements. Feel free to delete this as I have located the cause of the problem, & I am sorry for the mistake.

Thank you guys!

• Moderators

A lot of your posts mention the fact that you use SP2.

Perhaps consider moving to SP3.

This is not to start a ''but I don't want or need SP3'' discussion.

Plain fact is SP2 is out of date and stopped being supported in July 2010.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

A lot of your posts mention the fact that you use SP2.

Perhaps consider moving to SP3.

This is not to start a ''but I don't want or need SP3'' discussion.

Plain fact is SP2 is out of date and stopped being supported in July 2010.

Perhaps consider moving to SP3. ---> SP3 has problems. On certain AMD configurations, it causes endless reboot problems or blue screens. It also causes wifi on certain systems to mess up, because it blocks the packets streaming in due to thinking the system is under attack. Microsoft is full of information concerning this & other issues with SP3. I know SP3 is supposed to be 10% faster, & I did consider your suggestion, but does it make sense to "update" to a downdate that does worse & ruins things? Have you ever considered that? Or not? I know the information has been out a long time, so I guess you forgot about it.

You probably use Windows 7 or Vista. Fine. I use XP at the moment. Some programs, such as Ribbon Printer that prints to balloon ribbons do NOT have a working Vista/7 driver on their website that will let you print ribbons using the driver. Cannot install in Vista OR 7, even under compatibility mode for XP SP2, neither can driver be forcibly installed (errors out) leaving the ONLY working solution to use XP.

I did consider it, Hazel, but it simply will NOT work on my system. I am NOT going to try to repeatedly install SP3 only to have my wifi crash because of it, or to have my system bluescreen because of it. SP2 is stable. The biggest hole I have seen, & you can verify by looking at the buffer overflow & other type patches that MS introduces to try to fix problems that are caused by IE. IE has active X scripting, which allows anyone to run anything on your computer without your permission if you visit a maliciously crafted website. I don't use Opera because the interface is wonky, & it suffers from needle thin tabs when you open lots of them. Google chrome suffers from the same, & ad block + just hides (doesn't block) ads in chrome. At least, unless they changed from how they USED to do. Internet Explorer CAUSES malware infestations simply by visiting maliciously crafted websites, so it is dangerous to even use.

Firefox has been stable for me, & I have not had a single infection since switching to firefox from web surfing. Any virus attacks I have had since changing browsers has always been because I installed a toolbar with a program, or was testing a program that had it bundled with it. I have systems that are fully patched, yes, with all the updates, & windows 7 with SP1, but no amount of patching will fix installing rogue software. All Windows systems are vulnerable from the time they are compromised, & they can all be compromised by rogue installations, which is why it is so important to:

- Have a good firewall

- Have a good Antivirus

- Use care when installing programs you are unfamiliar with

I cannot use SP3 on my system because the ribbon printer & some business system software will NOT run with it, & it causes havoc with my wifi, & it blue screens this system. SP3 is NOT an option, because it won't work on this one!

This isn't an "hey, I would like to be more secure!" discussion, because SP3 cannot work on my system.

I like your suggestion, but it bluescreens this system, so therefore it is not possible to use your suggestion on this particular system.

Plain fact is SP2 is out of date and stopped being supported in July 2010. ---> I am not concerned with whether Microsoft supports something. Look at Internet Explorer. They know the dangers of Active-X exploits, yet they always have it turned on by default in IE. Having rules is not an option, because McAfee researchers in China recently found ways to craft an XML page that IE 6, 7, 8 (I assume 9 does it too, but haven't tested it yet) will be caused to import a rules update, therebye whitelisting bad controls. Before you say oh, you need an updates OS to protect you, just remember that there isn't any protection as long as your using IE with Active-X. Active-X means you can visit a website & they can automatically download & install anything on your system silently & behind your back just by visiting the page. Your system will be hosed.

Firefox does not have active-x, so while there may be other vulnerabilities, it cannot be compromised in this unsafe manner. Microsoft, despite having years to fix this, chose to ignore it. Therefore, I am not worried about MS declaring it is out of support. If they were truly serious about security, you'd see serious problems like this fixed, instead of patching & calling on users to fix problems that their open-door backdoor browser caused in the first place.

By the way, the exploit also successfully circumvented the UAC Vista & 7 controls & the DEP memory randomization protections.

You can avoid a lot of the problems, simply by not using IE.

P.S. IE crashes on 3 to 20 tabs. Firefox has been used with up to 1611 tabs & could have opened more, but system was slowing a bit. Can never get IE8 much over 20 without crashing.

• Moderators

I use XP .

I have SP3 installed.

I don't get blue screens.

I can use IE without it crashing.

So can millions of others.

It is unlikely that any dev will alter an application to suit a SP2 user whose system cannot run the next service pack without blue screening.

Please keep on topic.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I have XP SP2 running on this machine and I can tell you the latest version of Defraggler runs fine and does not crash like Super Fast.

The problem sounds to me like a stability issue, installing SP3 may help although I have my doubts since this really only addresses security exploits with the OS / Internet Explorer and not the behaviour of applications.

Applications crash because they have caused a serious error which is unhandled and thus the Operating System must terminate it.

This could be the result of problems with the file system, buggy or damaged system library, faulty hardware, malware infection or anti-virus (due their invasive nature on processes).

To start with run "chkdsk.exe /r" to make sure your file system is free from errors.

Check the event logs (eventvwr.exe) any application that crashes like Defraggler would have created an "Application" event.

Download and re-install the Microsoft Redistributable C++ and Dot.Net run time libraries.

Still no good?? uninstall all your security apps (not disable) i.e. anti-virus / anti-malware / anti-rootkit / HIPs see if Defraggler runs stable.

If Defraggler keeps crashing then perhaps a fresh re-install of XP would be another viable option however the choice is purely yours.

Richard S.