Mysterious PC beep arrived and just as mysteriously departed.

slowday444

So suddenly, while navigating (e.g. opening or closing tabs or functions )several applications there was an annoying beep even though I've always had "Sounds" disabled through the Control Panel. So I research it and there were several solutions, one being disabling "Beeps" through Device Manager, which I did. That turned the beeps into the loudest gong you ever heard. So I restore to a snapshot (Comodo Time Machine) I made the first thing this morning (the beep had been there since yesterday) and now it's gone. Don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth but I'd sure like to know what created it and how I got rid of it!

Well I would have suggest faulty keyboard (stuck keys) but since you've done a Comodo Time Machine roll back it was probably something else.

What make and model is your PC??

Richard S.

Have you got the latest sound drivers for your sound card or have you completely disabled the card instead of muting it? When I reformatted my computer opening certain programs would trigger a loud beep. However, after updating all my drivers the beep disappeared.

I'm not sure whether your beep is the same as mine was although if you go into safe mode (press F8 when you see your BIOS startup page) and hear the same beep as what you experience during normal operation then I'm pretty sure you need to a) enable your sound card and just put it on mute, or B) get the latest drivers for your device.

• Moderators

I know in WinXP that if the theme is changed Windows automatically turns those annoying system sounds back on. I don't know what newer versions of Windows do with that though, however it's something to check if you recently changed the theme.

Well I would have suggest faulty keyboard (stuck keys) but since you've done a Comodo Time Machine roll back it was probably something else.

What make and model is your PC??

Richard S.

It's just a six year old Dell Pent4, XP Home SP3. The keyboard is a new Illuminated Logitech and I also have a new MS mouse. The keyboard does have a nice bunch of hot keys a few of which I've customized. I explored all the KB and mouse settings and didn't notice anything there. My suspicion is that I accidentally hit a hot key that perhaps turned the "beep" on but I also don't understand why it stopped. I've also had enabled for a long time the same beep to notify me if I accidentally hit the Caps Lock key. That is still working (it did stop when I disabled the beep in device manager) since I re-enabled the beep. Anyway I'm glad things are back to normal.