Piriform new software - Drivers Download

zeus77

• 3 weeks later...

I fail to see the point for such an program if you install new hardware such as a webcam, sound card or graphics card you usually have a driver install CD.

If you have lost your install CDs then go visit the manufacturer's website and download the drivers yourself you don't need a application to do it for you.

Richard S.

I fail to see the point for such an program if you install new hardware such as a webcam, sound card or graphics card you usually have a driver install CD.

If you have lost your install CDs then go visit the manufacturer's website and download the drivers yourself you don't need a application to do it for you.

Richard S.

The manufacturer's website is always the best choice for drivers during a hardware install. The drivers on the included CD are seldom the latest releases.

For the most part the latest drivers offered by manufacturer's are usually better than their previous, however I've had situations for me that the original or older software / drivers work better.

The point I'm making here is you really don't need software to download your drivers files when it's quite easily go visit the manufacturer's website and do it yourself.

Richard S.

Richard S.

There are such programs that download drivers for your hardware like Driver Detective that I've seen so far but its legal versions are not free. Let me point out that checking updates from Windows Updates can also check and download hardware drivers for you but this is not the case with all hardware, some have to be located, downloaded and installed manually. This was the case I had with my Realtek sound drivers on Windows 7. My old drivers from the CD just won't work on Windows 7 so I have to manually locate and download a driver.

However, its sometimes not too easy to locate drivers in the manufacturer's website as you would often see a long list of links to various drivers for their various hardware products. Some universal drivers might work but they may include features that your exact hardware model does not support. I say, its not so easy for beginners either.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.