registry problem

jdemo75

i used ncleaner (default values) to try and speed up a computer. i have used it many times before with no issues. this time i backed up the registry with the program and cleaned it. now my programs all want to finish installing and error out. i tried a few things i found here to no avail. i even tried system restore to two different dates. nothing is working.

when i try to merge the backup i get this error

show details 10:10 PM (10 hours ago)

Cannot import C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\My Documents\My Registry Backup\backupreg.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or my other processes.

i tried this in admin safemode as well. i don't know where else to post my question so i tried here. any help would be appreciated.

• Moderators
i don't know where else to post my question...

I should try some of the forums where nCleaner is discussed. This is not really the place to problem solve a competitor product.

I should try some of the forums where nCleaner is discussed. This is not really the place to problem solve a competitor product.

i would but i don't believe they are around anymore. the website is there but no forums or any support anymore. :( i have tried all over the web, even Microsoft's answers page. this was the closest to an answer i have gotten, and it is on these forums, but it looks like there was no final answer :(

i used ncleaner (default values) to try and speed up a computer.

Contrary to what many people believe, "cleaning" the registry does not speed up your computer. In fact I cannot see any advantage in deleting unused registry entries.

I have used this computer (Windows 2000) for 10 years, never ran any "registry cleaner", and it still runs as fast as on the first day.

If you would have used Erunt to back up the whole registry, who knows if restoring this backup would have fixed the problem, but there is no guarantee.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

here's what ended up happening. after the system restore, everything but word and another program started working. i had to reinstall word, and the other program i just had to replace the shortcut. i don't seem to find anything else that doesn't work so i think i am good. thanks for the help and quick replies.