wipe free space

stpasc

• Moderators

It would be nice if there was an option to wipe the free space after a defrag. I know you can use CCleaner but it would be nice to do it from this package also.

Thank you.

I think all that would do is refrag your drive all over again

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I think that the point is that when clusters are remapped to a new position the old cluster - if not overwritten - would contain the original file data and thus could conceiveably be a security risk. I'm not sure how WFS could frag existing files.

Personally I wouldn't like to see this in defgragger. I like to see an application just do what it says it does. WFS is part of CC.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that the point is that when clusters are remapped to a new position the old cluster - if not overwritten - would contain the original file data and thus could conceiveably be a security risk. I'm not sure how WFS could frag existing files.

Personally I wouldn't like to see this in defgragger. I like to see an application just do what it says it does. WFS is part of CC.

Exactly.

CCleaner isn't hard to run, so why is this necessary in Defraggler?

Perhaps he wishes for an "all-in-one" that merges these products?

But the downside of that would be the result that Windows 98 may get left out with CCleaner unless you use the older 1.41 version!

Windows 98 is not supported anymore, thus a downside appearing only in Win98 is not a downside ;)

But I don't see how this could be a security risk. I mean, the files will be moved so there will be free space containing data....but that data is already in the file, no need to search it in the free space.

Piriform French translator

Windows 98 is not supported anymore, thus a downside appearing only in Win98 is not a downside ;)

But I don't see how this could be a security risk. I mean, the files will be moved so there will be free space containing data....but that data is already in the file, no need to search it in the free space.

What do you mean that Windows 98 is not supported anymore? I ran CCleaner 2.35 in Windows ME/Windows 98 a few days back.

I did not test the 2.36 in W98 yet...

Peace!

What do you mean that Windows 98 is not supported anymore? I ran CCleaner 2.35 in Windows ME/Windows 98 a few days back.

I did not test the 2.36 in W98 yet...

Peace!

By Microsoft, I mean. There's little point in supporting a 12-years-old OS that almost nobody uses ;)

Piriform French translator