Process Managers

Tom AZ

Anyone have any experience (pro or con) with process managers such as today's GOTD, Process Lasso -- or Process Tamer? In general, do they accomplish anything or do they just take up more resources and get in the way?

• Moderators

I really like Systernals Process Explorer. It's a very good supliment or even replacement for Windows Task Manager. Once I get to my GOTD RSS I'll be able to look at the process Lasso.

EDIT: yeah in my personal opinion you're better off with Process Explorer

they also have process monitor which I've not used but it looks pretty cool

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I've been familiar with Process Explorer for quite a long time. However, unless I'm mistaken, Process Explorer is a little different from the others in that PE simply provides information about running processes, whereas the other two help to monitor and automatically control "processes" and their allocation of resources.

Still not sure that this type of app has any real value, but was just curious.

I recall that Humpty liked Process lasso.

Process explorer does a bunch of things, kill a process, change its priority, see a lot about it. Also by sysinternals is autoruns, a system & process viewer, its good.

Neither require an actual installation nor a reboot. Not sure what registry tracks they leave.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

Not sure what registry tracks they leave.

Only the license approval

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I used process lasso and process tamer. Not at the same time on the same machines. Lasso is the best you can get and Process Tamer is also good if you don't need advanced features. I've never tried it yet but apparently Process Lasso Pro has cpu throttling capabilities.

As for effectiveness, if you use them properly and do some power computing there can be a noticable difference. I've gottewn the lifetime license key for Process Tamer so it's permanent.

If priorities are lost among you effectiveness may decrease. Process Lasso however can be setup to be quite automated to your liking as long as you review the plethora of options and settings in it.

Overall both of these applications are great and I've never encountered any bugs.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.