process throttling software?

redhawk

My laptop had a tendency to run rather warm due to the ***ty Intel P4 HT processor probably the worse CPU they ever made.

To keep my system purring away quiet my CPU is under clocked thanks to Toshiba's power management software but even when my CPU gets pegged it warms up and the fan starts whirling like crazy.

So I thought to myself if I could control the maximum CPU utilisation to say use %25 of maximum then in theory the laptop should not experience any overheating.

I've searched and searched but so far cannot find a suitable program to fit the needs of my criteria.

One shareware program remaining nameless slows down processes not by slowing them but by pegging the CPU lmfao.

So if I wanted to utilise 10% of the CPU the program would be set to utilise the CPU at 90% to create the desired effect. :angry:

Another program I found called Process Controller 2.0 looked a bit more promising but all it can do is change the process priority in realtime based on customisable rules.

This doesn't really help my problem because even if a process runs with low priority and using 99% of the CPU it would still cause my laptop to overheat.

Does anyone know of other programs I could try out for XP??

Richard S

Process Lasso is by far the best thing available. Even when it was still young it was great. Well worth the $$$. Free is great too though.

http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/proctamer/

Process Tamer is the 'lightweight' version of what you want. Lightweight as in simpler. I've used it a ton as well. See the site for a key. It's not a hassle at all.

The software from DonationCoder.com is free for personal use. The reason we require people to download a license key from us is to get them to take a look at our website and think about whether they might be willing to make a donation to this site.

In order to encourage people to really consider making a donation, we have adopted a somewhat unusual policy for people who do not donate:

* The free license key generated here will remove the reminder nag from the program for 6 months.

* After 6 months the reminder will come back and you must return to this page to generate a new license key which will last for another 6 months.

* After 1 year from your initial signup you can return to this page for a permanent non-expiring license key.

EDIT: Whoops probably not what you're looking for!

EDIT2: http://grandstreamdreams.blogspot.com/2008/07/windows-cpu-throttling-techniques.html

Edited by Talldog9

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/

This say it works for Mobile but give it a try. I've never tried it, it may be a virus for all I know. I couldn't find an official vendor program for your cpu model. If this doesn't work you might just have to use 7...

edit: HMMM

4. Does the dynamic speed changing work with non-mobile (desktop) CPUs ?

No, desktop CPUs are not capable of dynamically adjusting their speeds. Your notebook definitely needs a mobile CPU, a mobile chipset and a BIOS that provides the necessary software functions to allow dynamic speed changes. On notebooks which don't meet these requirements the speed changing options will most likely have no effect. All other program options should work though.

Edit2: Actually process lasso pro may do what you want.

Edited by Talldog9

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.