Sandboxie will not install

login123

Sandboxie quit working, now just simply will not install. It worked fine, no changes made, then just quit when I updated Spybot S&D. But Spybot is probably not the problem.

Posted at sandboxie forum, Tzuk replied once so far HERE. Looks like it may be a result of my installaholic habits.

A couple of questions occur. Thanks in advance for any answers. Members here have an amazingly broad knowledge, so I thought I would ask here also. Have looked around myself, cannot find definitive answers.

- Is there an area of the registry that I can edit myself to remove the "blockage"? Nothing to lose if I mess it up, my opinion.

- Does reinstallation from disks create a new Master File Table? The MFT is my suspect in this issue...I read that it never gets smaller. Will it be replaced during a reinstallation?

OK, OK, those are newbie questions, but I don't know the answer.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

It's a hard one that Login, I would hate to be without Sandboxie so know how you must be feeling.

I take it you have uninstalled everything that you don't use anymore? (but have been keeping just in case you do :) ) You've cleaned up the registry using ccleaner(made a backup!) and search every inch including turning on hidden files and folders just in case something is hiding.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I take it you have uninstalled everything that you don't use anymore? (but have been keeping just in case you do :) ) You've cleaned up the registry using ccleaner(made a backup!) and search every inch including turning on hidden files and folders just in case something is hiding.

Yes, have done that...uninstalled everything (but kept it on usb drive) :lol: . Cleaned the registry once with CCleaner and once with another registry utility, w/ backups. Many reboots. All files and folders visible.

By the way, there is a file called sandbox.sys associated with outpost firewall. If you delete that, outpost firewall pops up a limited functionality window. Guess how I know that? :-)

Tzuk answered over at the Sandboxie forum with this: "Simply put, a particular kind of resource is (arbitrarily) limited in Windows. And you just have too many security software competing for this limited resource."

Probably right, but doesn't explain why Sandboxie ran fine for 1 or 2 years, then quit. I suspect that all this installing over the years has created enough leftover junk in the registry to fill up whatever keys are required.

I'll just hang around over there and here for a while, and if no startling revelations appear, then a reinstall is inevitable.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Yes, thank you. Did that. Rebooted twice. Then uninstalled Sandboxie, rebooted twice, reinstalled Sandboxie. No go. Then installed latest version of Sandboxie over the old one I had always used. No go.

That means I'm running without Sandboxie AND Spybot...looking over my shoulder constantly...

Some indication in the Sandboxie Forum of a conflict between Avast! and Sandboxie.

Interestingly, in the last post, guest says that leftovers cannot be his/her problem.

There is another page to that thread Login, have you read it?

No, was in a hurry...duhh, its the only excuse I could come up with on short notice. Have read it now. Good thing to try. Thank you.

Also no to Redhawk, haven't tried sys restore yet, but it did fix the same issue once before. Reason I haven't tried it is because I wanted to find a permanent fix, maybe find out what causes it. Will do the sys restore right now, let you know if it works.

While we're here, what about those 2 questions...does a reinstall replace the registry and also the MBR? Common sense says that that has to be the case, but I am reluctant to rely on common sense regarding computer issues. :-)

Well, great, system restore fixed it. Sandboxie and all others working now. Thank you, redhawk. I have a feeling that the real issue is the WMI repository mentioned in the >ahem< second page of that Sandboxie forum, but everything is working again so I won't tinker with it. Thanks again.

All is well. Too many security apps, probably, but they are all getting along nicely now, so will leave them be.

Here is a short version of what fixed it:

1. Spybot S&D was not the problem, even tho it started with an S&D update.

2. Sandboxie was not the problem either.

3. Not sure what the problem was, will investigate no further so will never know, but all is ok now, after these steps:

a. use system restore to go back to 4 july 2010, before any issues.

b. eliminate 2 outpost firewall folders from c:\program files...not easy, parts missing from both.

c. eliminate 2 of 3 sandboxie folders from c:\program files. One was empty, one had a one file in it.

d. ...don't know how those extra folders got there, possibly from the system restore...

e. manually deleted all the registry entries for outpost, using regseeker. About 70 of'em leftover. Dangerous for my skill level, but little to lose, so what the heck...

f. reinstalled outpost

g. restarted about a million times. :-)

Everything is working together now. Security apps plus Sandboxie. Thanks again.

If anyone actually knows what caused this, please feel free to ring in on the issue. I'm curious but out of time, and have no problem if some member identifies a dummie mistake somewhere along the line.

• Moderators

You might never find out why it happened on YOUR computer.

At a guess it could have been too many security apps fighting for position, with a bit of leftover files thrown in as you say.

The bottom line is it's working again and the sun is shining on your computer again :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com