Using CC without closing down Firefox

It would be useful to keep Firefox open while CC is running - as it does in IE - instead of closing the browser down and having to re open when the cleaning is finished.

err ccleaner has no ability to close ANY browser

look i dont want to go into0 your post but what you have just said is 100% wrong

No fate but what we make

how on earth did you make trhat from

"It would be useful to keep Firefox open while CC is running "

its cleaer what they ment

No fate but what we make

It would be useful to keep Firefox open while CC is running - as it does in IE - instead of closing the browser down and having to re open when the cleaning is finished.

The purpose of closing Firefox, is to release any temp files that are in use.

Attempting to invent a CCleaner that cleaned while Firefox was open would be foolish.

• Moderators

I also believe that it would not be possible for ccleaner to access (and thus clean) the sqlite and *.db with firefox using them as firefox probably locks other programs from accessing them while running.

Granted, if you unchecked all the firefox settings in ccleaner you should be able to run cleaner with out closing firefox, but don't expect it to clean firefox then.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 2 weeks later...

@jock and Community:

I completely agree with you, jock. IE temp files can be cleaned while IE is still running, but when you try to clean Firefox, it tells you to close Firefox or it will skip cleaning Firefox.

Why can it do it for IE, but not Firefox?? I don't know.

@ident: You're an ass. What jock said made perfect sense. And, even when Augeas explained it to you in perfect English, you were still an ass. Be a useful part of the Piriform community, or not at all.

Mysta02

You are totally wrong to abuse long standing members that know far more than you.

You are obviously not aware that IE is ALWAYS present in Windows,

and its components remain active and available even when its browser is not running.

You also are obviously not aware that IE uses Index.dat files which CANNOT be purged whilst Windows is running,

hence CCleaner uses special actions to delete upon reboot, such as :-

Marked for deletion: C:\Documents and Settings\Dad\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat

Alan

@Alan B.

I wasn't 'abusing' any member, and I wasn't challenging his knowledge. His response to a question was "you are 100% wrong". How can a question be wrong?? And, "how on earth did you get that from....". Both of THOSE are abusive. I didn't challenge his answer, because he never gave one. He's not much help if he just insults people and doesn't offer useful advice.

CCleaner says that it cleans IE's temp files. It gets rid of GB's worth of info from IE every time I run it. It doesn't matter to me as a user whether it transfers these files elsewhere for deletion upon restart, or does it automatically; the point is that they are gone from a user's standpoint (no longer in temp, or in history, etc). Why can't CCleaner use these 'special rules' for Firefox. Instead, it tells you it can't do it.

That seems odd to me.

• Moderators

transfers these files elsewhere for deletion upon restart

I say this as someone who knows zip about programming, but setting Firefox's Internet Cache as "marked for deletion" doesn't seem like a bad idea.

There may be reasons why this can't be done, but if not, it would certainly get rid of what is, as mentioned by Augeas above, a minor irritant.

@Alan B.

I wasn't 'abusing' any member, and I wasn't challenging his knowledge. His response to a question was "you are 100% wrong". How can a question be wrong?? And, "how on earth did you get that from....". Both of THOSE are abusive. I didn't challenge his answer, because he never gave one. He's not much help if he just insults people and doesn't offer useful advice.

I disagree with you 100%. When you call a member an ass you are abusing him.

You appear ignorant and unable to understand what is written.

Ident did NOT say the question was wrong. Actually YOU are the only person to THINK it was a question.

I had no problem understanding that he meant it was based upon a totally flawed understanding of the fundamental difference between the I.E. browser which is interwoven within Windows and all the third party browsers such as Firefox.

Also, you are 100% wrong to believe that CCleaner TRANSFERS THESE FILES ELSEWHERE.

Windows refuses to allow a file to be deleted or moved whilst it is "in use".

• Moderators

This thread will be closed unless some useful comments are made.

The original poster may have succeeded better had he explained in clearer terms what he actually wanted. However that is no reason for the thread to sink into slanging matches.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

DennisD

I also thought that marking Firefox cache etc. for deletion would be a nice idea,

but thought it was a Windows thing not available to third parties.

Google is my friend and says I am right ! !

A search for

mark index.dat for deletion

leads to

http://www.morun.net/www/support/help/clearallhistory/Using/DeleteIndexFiles.html

and has images of the "Clear All History" GUI.

This shows that the bottom 3 checkboxes on the GUI are to

"Delete Index.dat files at Windows startup".

There are three types of index.dat which Windows will delete as part of its startup,

but I see no checkbox for Firefox cache ! ! ! !

Obviously when the GUI has those boxes checked then Windows does something to remind it on startup to zap them.

The PROPER way is to append to a list the location\name of each item to be zapped - everyone could add to it.

The MICROSOFT way is to avoid helping third parties, and since I.E. was created whilst Netscape was the dominant browser, there was no way that M.$ would allow Netscape to use a startup zap facility,

and neither can Firefox nor CCleaner.

To create a file or registry key to denote deletion of the Firefox cache on startup would be easy.

Actually creating CCleaner code that would intercept the transfer from BIOS into loading/running Windows would be more challenging ! !

Alan

@Alan B.

I completely disagree with you, as well.

'Using CC without closing down Firefox' really is a question hidden as a statement. He wanted to know "Why do I have to close Firefox to clean it with CC, and can this be fixed?"

And, that question has yet to be answered.

Some people are saying that CCleaner can't do it for IE. Some people are saying that CC sets the files for deletion upon restart.

What does CC do, definitively? Because, the files are shown to be deleted in CC.

Why can't Firefox be set the same way?

As for Ident, he never said anything about there being a difference between IE, and third-party browsers. I could have called him rude, but I felt calling him an ass was the more modern equivalent of "you are rude".