Secure file deletion (wipe free space) problem

Nivforever

I did a NSA (7 passes) file deletion yesterday to ensure my previous files cannot be easily restored because i intend on selling my desktop shortly.

However, i did a deep hd scan with a program called magic uneraser today and to my shock some of my files were right there, easily found and restorable...

Somethings got to be wrong right?

1 Over pass is sufficient any way. As long as the data is truly random.

If you really want to wipe your computer before selling use DBAN.

Tbh the only people who stand a chance at recovery of truly over written data is people with a STM microscope. (I got one in my garage....)

And then they would only likely find "overspilled" data (partial recovery) which im told by a bloke who use to work in data recover has been enough for a conviction (???? his words any way)

But another thing that would interfere with recovery is the data written before and after the sought after data. The microscope can't tell the order in which magnetic moments are created.

No fate but what we make

• Moderators

Actually the only true way to wipe a drive is a drill press. Anything can be recovered at anytime with the correct amount of trials/ the right software

but yes this is will discussed in these forums that overpasses isn't making files more unreadable

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I'd like to see any one recover my last hard drive.

DBAN for a week

Smashed with a hammer

Set on fire

And buried in the middle of my local woods

No fate but what we make

Do you think i will get resurrected in 2000 years time and arrested????

If you are not happy with ccleaners performance. You could try eraser. http://eraser.heidi.ie/

Some users wont use the newer builds, only older versions. So i cant answer that bit about eraser. i'm 5.8.7 which is fairly new.

Eraser will take a lot longer. And using the pc while eraser is running will likely cause the font clusters to become unstable (dont panik) when eraser is finished restart and it will reset it self

when i say about the clusters your web pages might be displayed different.

No fate but what we make

• Moderators
Some users wont use the newer builds, only older versions. So i cant answer that bit about eraser. i'm 5.8.7 which is fairly new.

I won't use it at all anymore, even the old version I was using has some severe issues in it. I'm back to using FS File Shredder which is very comparable to Eraser but without the issues.

Agree; I've never had any problems with any version (AFAIK!). Haven't moved onto 6 yet.

This basically. I personally never had any thing but superb results using it.

No fate but what we make

When you wipe files you destroy files that were visible to Windows Explorer.

I believe that PREVIOUS versions of files which are NOT visible because they have been deleted will NOT be wiped,

so what you can subsequently recover are not the versions just wiped, but the previous versions

Alan