Not fully Defraged

Lucky10

I've been using Defraggler for a few months and its worked ok on my desktop WinXP SP3 without a problem. I've recently had a laptop with Vista Home Premium and the lastest version 1.16.165 (the last two version did this as well) after a while it shuts down the computer. I restart and defrag again and after about 20 minutes it shuts down again. Now I don't sit and watch it at I have other things to do but I come back every 5 or 10 minutes and its still running but the next time I come back its shut down again. I've ran it with /debug but that doesn't show anything.

Now this morning I decided to sit there and watch what is happening. It appears to defrag ok but after its finished (see attachment) half the drive is still showing the red blocks which are defragmented, it still says 42% defragmented. How can I make it defrag all the drive?

Now going back to the old defrags in DOS and Win9x/ME it used to move all files to the top of the drive but as you can see from the picture half the files are half way down the drive. How can I get them all at the top?

Another little point I don't like on the newer versions is the colour of the drive pie chart, I much prefer the older type.

All the Piriform products are good I'm not knocking that, keep up the good work. ;)

post-34553-1263130378_thumb.jpg

WinXP SP3 and Vista Home Premium SP2

Hi Richard.

After I Analyze and click the "View Files" button there are only 8 files listed, I select all and do a Defrag Checked it says Defrag Complete, No files were defragmented. Well if the red blocks aren't helpful why are they there? ;)

The red blocks are kind of helpful but unless you can put files to them then all you have is red blocks.

If they're not listed with "View files" then they probably belong to the System Restore function of Windows which you normally cannot touch or view without some Administration tweaking.

To be honest don't pay too much attention to the graph what is more important are the files it lists as fragmented and deciding whether they're worth defragging or not.

Richard S.

Thanks guys but I don't care where the file is or what folder its in if its showing red then it needs defragging. I don't see why I have the exclude C:\System Volume Information its part of the restore file system. I know its difficult to read what is in there but defraggler moves these files around. ;)

Thanks guys but I don't care where the file is or what folder its in if its showing red then it needs defragging. I don't see why I have the exclude C:\System Volume Information its part of the restore file system. I know its difficult to read what is in there but defraggler moves these files around. ;)

Had the same problem. Created a new restore point. Removed the old ones. Ran CCleaner. Then ran Defraggler. It worked like a charm. :)

You can't defrag those files. All defrag programs exclude them by default.

And even if you could, it would be completely pointless.

Piriform French translator