Secunia PSI (Personal Software Inspector)

razz

As some of you may know, I have been using Secunia PSI as part of my start-up programs for some time now. I was wondering what you guys and gals think of this application. Do you only use Secunia PSI or do you also run update checkers/notifiers such as Update Checker from FileHippo and Update Notifier from CleanSofts ?

I happen to like PSI. Though I must admit I have not tried any other similar programs. I don't run it at start-up though, just fire it off every week or two.

From a security point of view I pick Windows updates automatically, which usually sorts out the critical stuff. Other software updates are very rarely that critical that they need to be picked up immediately. If there is anything like that I'll usually be aware of it via other sources anyway.

FileHippo Update Checker >> Useless. Only found 5 programs on my PC....I have at least 25.

CleanSofts Update Notifier >> Found 10 programs. Better, but not enough.

Secunia PSI >> Good. Finds everything.

Piriform French translator

From a security point of view I pick Windows updates automatically, which usually sorts out the critical stuff. Other software updates are very rarely that critical that they need to be picked up immediately. If there is anything like that I'll usually be aware of it via other sources anyway.

I agree and I do the same.

FileHippo update checker is the best in my opinion, extremely easy and fast to use

It only finds 5 programs on my computer. Maybe because I'm running a 64-bits Windows ?

Piriform French translator

Okay, well I've just tried FileHippo updater.

FileHippo is aware of 21 programs.

PSI is aware of 119 programs.

And this is just on my 'lightweight' netbook.

FileHippo updater is clearly designed to monitor a specific set of software. I'm sure it's very effective for monitoring anything you get from its own site but it's of no substantial use from a security point of view.

• Moderators

If you do Marmite, you might consider using the lite version ( it has RK crossed out on the download area) as the full one installs Relevant Knowledge.

This is considered as spyware by some security softwares

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I don't run it at start-up though, just fire it off every week or two.

I've decided to do the same marmite. I feel you have a good point about not having it as part of start-up. Actually, running a scan every month is probably adequate.

I've decided to do the same marmite. I feel you have a good point about not having it as part of start-up. Actually, running a scan every month is probably adequate.

I try and keep start-up stuff to a minimum. As you say, it's not something that needs to be constantly running by any means.

I've just had a go with SUMo. If you leave the Windows stuff out (as indeed it suggests in its settings) then it does a pretty good job. I certainly found a few things that I was out-of-date on ... not security updates, just general app updates.

Well this thread encouraged me to check out these update programs having not checked them out for a while.

My opinion, Update Notifier and UpdateStar both pretty rubbish (Update Notifier more-so and comfortably worst of the bunch).

Sumo wasn't bad, though not error free (told me my Iron was out of date - the suggested current version was actually a beta version).

And best of the bunch, though also not perfect, Secunia.

Picked up on the fact that the IE Flash version (not that I use IE) and Foxit portable were outdated where the others didn't as well as picking up on a couple the others also got.

Amusingly it listed IE8 as insecure with three vulnerabilities despite being fully patched and up to date (and Firefox 100% secure).

It stupidly (IMO) it listed two versions of IE and WMP because it picked up on the backups in Windows DLL cache (have just run the online version and that does the same, as well as picking up on outdated Outlook, also in dll cache).

It listed Shockwave Player 10 as an end of life product on my machine even though 11.5 is what is installed, so will investigate that.

And it seems awfully slow to launch on my system.

As I said been a while since I checked out the above and Secunia impressed me enough that I will be installing it permanently for occasional checks alongside FileHippo so thanks to Razz for starting the thread.