Make Defraggler report system volume files as unmovable

norel

I've been reading back through all the previous threads and time & again the same subject comes up- why is Defraggler reporting 40% or 50% fragmentation after a defrag? Inevitably the fragmented files turn out to be System Volume (System Restore) files which cannot be accessed, at least not in Vista or Windows 7. I have Defraggler installed on an XP system and this isn't even an issue.

With more and more people using Vista and Windows 7 it seems like it would be a good time for this issue to be addressed. It's confusing as all get-out for the average user. Other products simply report these files as unmovable; it seems Defraggler should be able to do that, or ignore them altogether, as it seems to do in XP.

I do have say though, other than this Defraggler blows the competition away. :)

Is there any point defragging files "C:\System Volume Information" they're only used by the Operating System if a System Restore is performed and would have no real impact on current performance.

As for the folder being accessible in XP but not Vista or Windows 7 this isn't strictly true XP can still lock the folder it depends on a few conditions.

If XP is install on a FAT32 partition then "C:\System Volume Information" is accessible however under NTFS security permissions prevent unauthorised access even if you're using an administrator account.

To get around this block you need to edit the security permissions for "C:\System Volume Information" and add Administrator will full access.

I'm not sure about Vista or Windows 7 but I would assume you can also tweak security permissions to gain access too pretty much like XP.

Richard S.

redhawk, I don't know if there's any point in defragging them or not, that's not really where I was going. The point is Defraggler doesn't defrag them because they're normally locked and inaccessible, so why not report that. When an inexperienced user runs a defrag, they don't know what C:\System Volume Information is and probably don't care. All they know is they defragged and Defraggler left 50% of their files fragmented.