How to use Recuva when laptop wont boot up

deetalktime

Recuva is a recovery utility for deleted files it will not help you copy files from a dead Operating System.

From your description it sounds like you're experiencing a reboot from a blue screen of death, without the STOP code it would be difficult to resolve the problem.

However you could try the following:

Hit F8 before the Windows splash screen appears and you should have some options:

try "Safe Mode" to start with and see if you laptop will eventually get to the desktop

If it reboots then repeat the F8 procedure again and select the option "disable automatic restart..." and post the STOP code here.

If you're considering to backup you files I would recommend BartPE (needs an XP install CD) or Hiren's Tools which both contain a bootable Windows environment on a CD with support for USB flash drives (you must insert the flash drive during the XP splash screen not after).

Richard S.

Welcome to Piriform deetalktime.

My laptop will no longer boot up and just continues to run chkdsk. Can I still use Recuva to try and recover my files? Please help

Won't it startup in Safe Mode either? ;)

Desktop

WinXP SP3

IE 7.0

Laptop

Vista Home Premium SP2

IE 8.0

• 3 weeks later...
My laptop will no longer boot up and just continues to run chkdsk. Can I still use Recuva to try and recover my files? Please help

This will work, but it will take a long time.

- Download & burn Ubuntu live to a CD (free)

- Run Ubuntu directly off the CD instead of the install option. Now you can see your files.

*Better idea... Purchase a laptop external USB 2 enclosure. Drop the laptop drive into it & recover the files.

Now, you can format & fix windows!