ERUNT

tomn

Hi, beginner here.

I know this has probably been discussed here before, but I am a little confused on how to set this up.

I first must say that I have yet to download ERUNT.

I am using windows xp and firefox as my browser. When I initially download ERUNT is there anything special I have to do to get the setup program to download to my desktop? And after I run the installation program can I also get the shortcut for ERUNT to be installed on my desktop? The reason I ask is I seem to have had some issues before when downloading software and not letting me download to my desktop.

From My understanding I can use the default backup name (ERDNT) that will be stored in my windows folder which could be used for Windows recovery console to restore should the need arise.

Once installed, and I run "ERUNT", is the setup fairly self explanatory? I'm assuming I can setup the automatic backup feature thru the menu options?

I've seen a post or two on this forum about changing the amount of days to keep old copies of your registry that are available for backup at any one time to save space. Something about typing a command line switch? and setting the days to your choice. How would I do this? what would I actually have to type in?

To reach the command line I think I type "CMD" at the <RUN> prompt correct? Is this where the code is entered in?

Is there anything else I need to customize to just perform daily backups? I just need a general setup, nothing fancy.

Any help appreciated or if you can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

• Moderators

Hi tomn.

It's a while since I installed it, but I'm pretty sure as you install it you get the option for it to run at startup and make a registry backup with the first boot of the day.

So if you log on and off a number of times it will only make a backup on the first boot.

After installation follow these instructions:

Click "Start\All Programs\Startup", right-click "ERUNT AutoBackup", choose "Properties", then at the end of the command line add a space and the /days:n switch where n is the new number of days.

As shown here for 3 rolling backups: (The blue highlighted part is the command line)

3IQGws.png

Any problems, just post back.

EDIT: Almost forgot. When you download it, select "save", and then choose the download location you want.

Hi tomn, here's what happens. When you download and install ERUNT it takes care of itself from then on. It builds up to and then holds up to 30 days of reg info, deletes the oldest and creates the newest every time you boot/reboot). If you ever need to restore your reg backup you open up Windows/ERUNT/ERDNT folder and choose the most previous file. As far as command lines go, I'm dead. I don't know squat about that.

Hey thanks fellas.

The only reason for me to use the command line is that I have no need to store 30 days worth of backups and only wish to save 3 or maybe 5 days at any one time for better use of disk space.

Dennis, does the initial backup on boot up add much to boot times? are we talking maybe an extra 30 seconds or minutes?

Hmm, In the year i have used ERUNT iv never bothered to view or check the backup folder "C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT\"

it's currently standing at 4.1gb of backups lol

No fate but what we make

I was shocked to. It just suddenly occured to me to have a look. Thats quite a bit of space being used by unneeded backups.

No fate but what we make

• Moderators
Hey thanks fellas.

The only reason for me to use the command line is that I have no need to store 30 days worth of backups and only wish to save 3 or maybe 5 days at any one time for better use of disk space.

Dennis, does the initial backup on boot up add much to boot times? are we talking maybe an extra 30 seconds or minutes?

Not so I'd notice tomn, and if it did make a noticeable difference, it's a drop in the ocean compared to the time it would take to fix a corrupted registry.

And going by the other posts just above, take the trouble to stipulate a number of days.

I chose three, as going back any further on my PC would increase the likelihood of the registry backup being too out of step with my ever changing software. And couple that with the fact that each ERUNT backup is just over 50mb, you will end up with the situation outlined above ...

A huge amount of backups, with probably most of them being too old to use without causing an issue with changes to your system carried out since that date.

Just MHO of course, but the "Number of days to keep" option is there for a reason, and worth using.

EDIT: Post back of course if you encounter any problems, or have more questions.