Trojan arrived with latest CCleaner v 2.23.999!

Bruce 3434

I downloaded the latest version of CCleaner this afternoon and found that it would not install, next I could not even delete the downloaded File from File Hippo!

I then scanned it using Nod 32 , clear, then Spyware Terminator, and this is the report: I am new to this Forum so I hope the Upload of the reprt worked!

Bruce 3434 Anybody else had this problem, and can someone suggest a download site with no accompanying Trojan Virus with v 223! Thanks

post-31659-1252335206_thumb.jpg

post-31659-1252335206_thumb.jpg

Spyware terminator had been listed as rogue/suspicious by Eric Howes

But

Note on SpywareTerminator: We originally listed Spyware Terminator on this page out of concerns that Crawler, the company behind the product, had established connections with IBIS, a well known adware distributor responsible for such adware programs as Wintools, Websearch, & Huntbar. Although we found no problems in our initial testing with Spyware Terminator, and while the vendor itself announced that it was exiting the adware business (1), we decided out of caution to impose a three month probation period before we would consider re-testing and, if warranted, de-listing the the product from the Rogue/Suspect list. During that three month probation period we monitored the behavior of IBIS and Crawler. At the end of the three month probation period we re-tested Spyware Terminator, again finding no problems serious enough to justify listing the program on this page. As the vendor involved has not been involved in the distribution of adware for many months, and as the program itself exhibits no problems serious enough to warrant mention on this page, we have decided to de-list Spyware Terminator from the Rogue/Suspect list and can no longer regard the program to be "rogue/suspect."

I have never used it so make your own mind up. I have been reading user comments on it just now and i personally would not use it. I would neve ruse software that has connections to distributers of adware. But thats just my own opinion.

No fate but what we make

This is a false positive by Spyware Terminator.

if you can it would be a help Bruce if you would report this to them as such

Yes, Hazelnut, I will report this to Spy Term but even if it is a false positive, why could I not delete the file? This is more worrying, or just as worrying, and that is the reason why I sought assistance from Spy-Term. in the first place. Can you explain the reason for that please, and how would you go about getting it out of your computer!

Yes, Hazelnut, I will report this to Spy Term but even if it is a false positive, why could I not delete the file? This is more worrying, or just as worrying, and that is the reason why I sought assistance from Spy-Term. in the first place. Can you explain the reason for that please, and how would you go about getting it out of your computer!

You dont have to worry about gettting the virus out, since if you downloaded from file hippo there was never know virus to begin with. As haze said it was a FALSE posative

No fate but what we make

• Moderators
why could I not delete the file?

Could be that the anti-malware scanner locked it during that Windows session if it runs resident. Simply logging off, then logging back on should unlock it. That's actually a normal behaviour with Windows too locking in-use files.

Could be that the anti-malware scanner locked it during that Windows session if it runs resident. Simply logging off, then logging back on should unlock it. That's actually a normal behaviour with Windows too locking in-use files.

No, thanks Andavari, for the suggestion but that is the first thing I tried and it definitely did NOT delete after a reboot! I tried that method three times, before I eventually got Spyware Terminator to delete it, after it had scan the file and advised that a Trojan was present. Why I was able to MOVE it the first time, from where I had downloaded the file, to another Folder is a mystery as well, as when I tried to move it again to another folder in another partition, I could not do this either! A nasty situation and I am waiting now for the next version of CCleaner which I will download directly from Piriform and not File Hippo again!