My Computer Might Be To Clean

MikeNash

The Unites States Department of Homeland Security says they have the legal right to cease laptops at border crossings (for example when you return from an international trip). They also claim to have the right to copy your hard drive and inspect everything.

PCWorld just ran an online article where they report 1,000 laptops were searched in the past 10 months.

Prior to returning to the USA I always run CCleaner. But then I got to thinking ? if I was chosen for the in-depth scan, would a clean set of browsing history be a big red flag? I mean, the absences of any history would in itself be odd.

So I got to thinking - it would be cool to have a way to repopulate browsing history with a preselected set of websites to give the illusion of a non scrubbed system.

Any thoughts?

If this was the uk (as i dont know US laws) i would say stuff them. There is no legal reason why you cannot wipe history, they cannot make speculation about what you have visited when there is no evidence what so ever what you have done.

This is a serious breach of human rights that only the US could do. There was a case a while ago in the UK where a suspected criminal would not reveal his computers password and he managed to fight it in court that it was agasint his human rights to reveal it and the judge ruled in his favour.

Now i would suspect the Uk laws have tightened up this loop hole now.

Having the absence of history is not odd at all. I think it's more common to not have one then to have now a days.

I have no history or cookies(unless active session) ever stored on my pc. Is this suspicious? I could not care. It's my right to not keep a history. Not because i have anything to hide. Simply because it's my pc and i choose it to be that way.

can you please post a link to this. i cant find anything for it.

edit:

As for your suggestion i think it would be a more 'red flag' to create a 'fake' history etc. if you have nothing to hide then who cares what they think? ccleaner is such a renownd cleaner, that im sure they would no ccleaner could write a set of fake history etc. This would be completly unneeded for most users since we have nothing to hide.

like i said it's not illegal to scrub up. so unles you have something to hide. who cares?

No fate but what we make

Thats just plain wrong. Lets hope Obama can fix this. I think there would be a massive out cry in the uk if this happened.

No fate but what we make

Thats just plain wrong. Lets hope Obama can fix this. I think there would be a massive out cry in the uk if this happened.

You're so utterly naive, I don't know where to begin.

These border rights will never come back. Things will get more and more strict from now on. Those in power (either party) cannot help it. Information is power.

Hope you're encrypting your email and using a double-hop proxy?

• Moderators

I don't know how they could suspect you of anything since even web browsers have built in history/cache deleting. And I highly doubt they could imprison someone for wiping the free space on a hard disk, or using secure deletion of files. Of course if they did imprison someone with absolutely no valid proof of wrong doing that person could very easily be set for life as a millionaire after the lawsuit.