Registry Compacting (Windows XP)

Tom AZ

I'm wondering which app might be the "best" for compacting the registry. I've used all of the following: NTREGOPT, Auslogics Registry Defrag, Registry Mechanic and Registry Defrag Free. Is one of these better than another -- or are they all about the same?

Well, NTREGOPT is a good and safe choice, but for example Free Registry Defrag has Analize feature, which is good to have, so you dont defrag, when theres actually no need to.

What you can do, is to Analize with FRD, and then defrag with NTREGOPT, if there's need to. If you do prefer NTREGOPT.

Well, NTREGOPT is a good and safe choice, but for example Free Registry Defrag has Analize feature, which is good to have, so you dont defrag, when theres actually no need to.

What you can do, is to Analize with FRD, and then defrag with NTREGOPT, if there's need to. If you do prefer NTREGOPT.

Auslogics Reg Defrag has Analyze feature too ;) Here, Last Freeware Auslogics Reg Defrag.

I use Auslogics. :)

Is there any general rule of thumb as to how frequently -- or at what level of fragmentation -- this should be performed?

I'll perform compacting registry each month if your machine runs noticeably slower after a few months of work.

• Moderators
Is there any general rule of thumb as to how frequently -- or at what level of fragmentation -- this should be performed?

FRD recommends not registry defragging if the fragmentation is at 2% or under since Windows is typically always at that level and will quickly jump right back into that 2% zone in no time. I usually only use FRD if I notice it at 5% or higher, but really you don't need to use such programs but maybe once per year or at the most twice per year.

Do note that Windows (XP at least) does something all on its own and can reduce the size of the registry unexpectedly and very rarely, and it's much better at it than any of the reg defrag tools are ever possible of achieving.