AVG uninstall & CC

DanV

Hi to everyone.

It's been awhile since I've been in this forum; perhaps it attests to the reliability of CC in my experience of it. As is usual in any support forum I go to I lay out the matter in detail so as not to make it a never ending series of postings. I figure the better I describe the situation the better the response.

Anyway, to the best of my understanding and the comments I've read elsewhere on the web, CC is good for removing programs. I've recently decided to remove the AVG antivirus to replace it with a different one. Ordinarily I've always removed programs through the control panel but upon reading comments here and there a lot of people have been having problems uninstalling AVG. On some of those forums a few people piped up and said to use CC, that it was great, etc.

Another aspect which causes me to hesitate is that unlike other programs what is dealt with here is a virus vault. One of the things that I wondered about was whether using CC to remove AVG was sufficient in removing and deleting the program effectively enough in terms of its quarantined virus content. One of the main points I think about is whether it's best to delete/wipe/erase the viruses using the AVG panel first and then uninstall it or whether CC in its own manner of uninstalling also takes this into account with no danger to my system, i.e., a clean removal.

Now, I haven't tried the basic control panel approach where the add/remove programs is at. For all I know that might be all I need and problem solved. But after having read of others who had no success with the panel approach and with some of their examples relating how bits and pieces of AVG were still hanging about that caused glitches here and there, I decided to play it safe and inquire from those at CC as to the efficiency of using it to remove the AVG. I didn't want to try the panel and find myself in the same situation as others and then to find out that if I had used CC before the panel it would have done a better job of things.

That's the way it stands. Perhaps some in this forum have had a similar experience and can better inform me as to the matter.

Thank You

Dan

Hello.

all ccleaner does is uninstall the application exactly the same as m$ built in one via control panel. it just loads 100x faster

The only difference ccleaner has is it can remove a entry from the list that may be left behind after being uninstalled incorrectly.

If you want to fully remove an application and all its traces use. your uninstaller http://www.ursoftware.com/

Ccleaner may remove things better as it's being less resource hungry, well function better is what i'm looking for but it's not doing any thing extra.

Personally if i was you i would replace avg(since you uninsatlled it) with avast,

No fate but what we make

I also use AVG, but I empty my vault on a regular basis. I was also thinking of dumping AVG, and if I do choose to do that I would empty AVG through AVG, and then Un-install either through the control panel or CCcleaner. BUT SINCE reading this I WOULD un-install THROUGH CCleaner. I have never had any problem using it before, and when I don't use it to un-install and then clean it always find stuff left behind by XP control panel. So to just avoid any problem I will use CC to dump AVG.

? Why are you dumping AVG?

• Moderators

Hello Dan :)

I would first try uninstalling avg either by using avg's own uninstaller in start-all programs- avg-uninstall or add/remove programs.

There is also an avg removal tool for any ''difficulties'' that may be encountered. If you have a read it does mention the virus vault

http://www.avg.com/download-tools

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

AVG traditionally had one of the best uninstallers in the industry, and would only leave behind settings in: HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet###\Enum\Root

However most antivirus, antimalware, and firewall programs leave stuff in there since they're protected keys and have to have permissions changed in order to delete them.

In previous versions of AVG (I don't know about version 8 though) the Vault was located in the root of disks. So if it's still lingering about after removing AVG the only way to find out is to enable the setting of being able to see Hidden Files and Folders, then look into the root directory of drives, such as: C:\

although it's best to follow the link Hazelnut gave to use an official removal tool before manually doing anything.

I also use AVG, but I empty my vault on a regular basis. I was also thinking of dumping AVG, and if I do choose to do that I would empty AVG through AVG, and then Un-install either through the control panel or CCcleaner. BUT SINCE reading this I WOULD un-install THROUGH CCleaner. I have never had any problem using it before, and when I don't use it to un-install and then clean it always find stuff left behind by XP control panel. So to just avoid any problem I will use CC to dump AVG.

? Why are you dumping AVG?

If you are emptying your fault on regular basis i think it's time we looked at steps to prevent you even getting infected.

I do not have a AV running in the background, have not for 3 years and i have not had one infection. This is not a step id suggest for the normal user. I will scan once a month with malwarebytes and thats it. I have been clean for 3 years. and i use the computer every day.

If you are emptying viruses regular then something is going very wrong. maybe you can shed some light on how many infections and how often and maybe we can help you out a bit?

Also i fully agree use ccleaners uninstaller over m$, it loads so much faster, but you need to not get carried away because it will also be leaving behind left over traces of the uninstalled application.

it is not a fully complete uninstaller. It's exactly the same as m$ add and remove. Which is something i have suggested to be added(hopefully one day)

For a full uninstaller you need something like your uninstaller as i have already said above.

i hope some of this helps you, all the best

sam

No fate but what we make

Thank you all for the comments.

I will more than likely try the uninstaller that comes with AVG and then if that doesn't work then run the CC (if that's possible).

But now there's a little bit of a glitch. I updated CC today and it's not analyzing. As soon as I click analyze it goes to "O bytes", etc. I had a feeling something was up when I noticed the pear was dark. Anyway, I checked properties and it does not register as the 3mb it's supposed to be. Maybe an incomplete download? :huh:

Should I just uninstall CC entirely and do a clean install?

• Moderators
Should I just uninstall CC entirely and do a clean install?

Just try to install a new downloaded copy over what you already have, clean your browser cache/temporary internet files first though since a previously downloaded version may be corrupted in the cache. That way if it works you won't have to reconfigure CCleaner from scratch. If installing over what you have doesn't work, a clean install may be in order.

Downloads are located here:

http://www.ccleaner.com/download

Andavari

Installing over what was there didn't work and neither did a clean install. Funny, it was working perfectly last night with the previous version.

Will wait for a reply here from whomever has suggestions. May have to download a temporary cleaner for the moment.

Andavari

Installing over what was there didn't work and neither did a clean install. Funny, it was working perfectly last night with the previous version.

Will wait for a reply here from whomever has suggestions. May have to download a temporary cleaner for the moment.

try reinstalling the older version you had and tell us if it runs again

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

No fate but what we make