Helping burning CD in Vista

TeeJay3800

My dad is having a problem burning CDs on his Vista Home Premium laptop. The problem arises when attempting to burn a number of images by dragging the image files onto the CD icon in My Computer. He uses this exact method on his older desktop and it works this fine. On the Vista machine, a Windows error message pops up every time the file is dragged over. I don't remember the exact wording of the message, but it was related to a security or similar type of violation. Is there a setting in Vista that needs to be changed, or what else can we do to successfully burn CDs?

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators

I don't know what Vista has however in XP you highlight the files, then click Send To->CD/DVD Burner Drive

Click to enlarge:

d1656c35518776.gif

Why not just use a third-party CD/DVD burning program with more features!

Yeah since discovering Ashampoo Burning Studio I havent used anything else. I find it very user friendly and is feature rich with lots of options. Works great and no coasters as of yet for me! :)

• Moderators
Works great and no coasters as of yet for me! :)

I'm not so sure it makes compliant DVD Video discs which is the only issue I've had since only one DVD player in the house could play a DVD Video I recently burned with it. I don't however have any issues making an burnable ISO first with DVD Shrink, then letting Ashampoo Burning Studio burn the disc.

• Moderators

I've burned a lot of DVD's straight from "video_ts" folders, and I've never had a coaster yet. Exellent program.

I'm using the 2009 version, but I never had a problem with any of them.

I also tried burning a CD using the Roxio software that came with the computer, but got a similar message as when attempting a burn in My Computer. This suggests to me that there might be a problem with the burner itself or with it's firmware/drivers. I'll try Ashampoo, but I have a feeling we'll get a similar error then as well.

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

TeeJay does your dad get the same error if instead of drag and dropping the files, he right-clicks and them and chooses send to? (burner)

We haven't tried that method yet, but it'll be the next thing we try. I have a feeling, though, that we'll get the same error message.

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators

Could be something wrong with the drive in particular the hardware registry settings if installing a new CD burning app like Ashampoo doesn't work.

Although I don't think it's a drive stuck in PIO mode issue, you may want to look into this Enabling DMA guide for Windows Vista first before trying the two instructions listed below.

1. If nothing works you could try this:
  2. Log onto the system as the Administrator.
  3. Make a System Restore Point, you'll need it if something goes wrong!
  4. Go into the Device Manager in Vista (official Microsoft instructions).
  5. In Device Manager right click the CD/DVD drive and make sure it's Enabled, if not enable it. It also wouldn't hurt to click Scan for hardware changes.
  6. Restart Windows, and try to burn the CD again.

1. If the above instructions fail try this:
    Remember that System Restore Point you made, if this goes wrong you may need it!
  3. Go into the Device Manager in Vista (official Microsoft instructions).
  4. In Device Manager right click the CD/DVD drive and select Uninstall.
  5. Restart Windows, which upon starting will redetect/reinstall the CD/DVD drive automatically.
  6. Try to burn the CD again.

1. If the above instructions fail try this:

Remember that System Restore Point you made, if this goes wrong you may need it!

3. Go into the Device Manager in Vista (official Microsoft instructions).

4. In Device Manager right click the CD/DVD drive and select Uninstall.

5. Restart Windows, which upon starting will redetect/reinstall the CD/DVD drive automatically.

6. Try to burn the CD again.

Thanks for the write-up! We tried uninstalling and reinstalling the CD/DVD drive, but that didn't fix the problem. I did grab a screen-shot of the error (see attachment). Any further ideas now that you can see the actual error? post-6135-1242357572_thumb.jpg

post-6135-1242357572_thumb.jpg

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators

Seems to be a bit of an obscure and troublesome problem over the years.

Found a few links for you to look at

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/sujet-1186-vista...unction-invalid

http://www.devhardware.com/forums/storage-...tion-28175.html

http://4-ch.net/tech/kareha.pl/1121307180/ (post 7 gave an answer that worked for some here, but doesn't really explain why it happens)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com