signons3.txt deleting by 2.19.900

A heavy Bug in 2.19.900 !!

CCleaner deletes the "signons3.txt" file in profile folder of Firefox (3.0.10)

so all stored passwords are gone ... :( luckily I have a backup of the file and can restore them....

You can workaround that if you uncheck delete "Saved Form Information" in options of CCleaner,

than the "signons3.txt" file in Firefox profile folder will not be deleted and your passwords are safe...

please fix this bug soon...

sry 4 bad english I'm a german user and sry for using bugmenot acc..

so long friendly greatz

I have the same problems :angry: CCleaner 2.19.900 deletes the "signons3.txt" and the "signons2.txt" for me. I am lucky too :P to have a backup of the files. I need to exclude the 2 files in the options, but i hope piriform solve the bug (sorrry too for my enlish i am french)!!!

In the meantime those files can be excluded from being deleted:

1. Start CCleaner.

2. Click Options->Exclude->Add File

Too late, mine have already been deleted -- and I don't have a backup. :(

I've always had this option checked when I used CCleaner, it never before deleted my saved passwords. What gives?!

• Moderators

I stick by what I said, and please note what I did say. It isn't just a CCleaner issue.

I had other problems with Firefox which were nothing to do with CCleaner, and the problems you guys are experiencing originate with the browser developers themselves.

Yes, it's only happening with the new version of CCleaner at the moment, but because CCleaner is constantly having to be updated in an attempt to keep up with the constantly changing format and location of privacy details, and to provide more or better features, then some unforeseen consequences are inevitable.

I just wish some of the more disgruntled CCleaner users would direct their displeasure at the browser developers themselves, where the problems actually originate. Which is why it isn't just a CCleaner issue.

I'm so pee'd off with Firefox I've completely cleared it off my system.

Hi there,

I think CCleaner HAD a bug as it was NOT deleting saved passwords when "Saved Form Information" is cheked.

I am glad that it is now fixed as it was a major flaw leaving passwords on the harddrive.

Anyone can easily see your passowrds using this "Password Fox":

http://kunalsachdeva.wordpress.com/2009/02...-gtalk-and-msn/

If you want to save passwords all in one place you should use a proper software like "KeePass":

http://www.filehippo.com/search?q=keepass

Firefox->"Saved Form Information" is now working as IE->Autocomplete Form History and Google Chrome->Save Form Information. Passwords are saved form information!

You can always uncheck the option anyway...

Thanks

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but after the issues with signons3.txt I thought I should join and add my thoughts here. I have used CCleaner without major incident for a few years now and I have never had this issue, yes as said the developers are always changing the way browsers work, but I do not agree about the issues with 3.0.10. I am a member of many online forums as I am sure many of you all are, and I have not seen anyone else post about issues with password troubles using this latest Firefox release, I'm not saying they do not exist, just that if it was a major Firefox issue I am sure we would have seen this across many forums by now, as people would be wondering what the cause is.

I also do not think CCleaner had a bug thats been put right as "_ccleaner_" suggested, there would have been a warning added, as there is for IE that you would lose all your saved passwords if you ticked this box for god knows how many years by now, this new behaviour may have been brought on by the changes in FF 3.5 beta 4 I don't know, but I am sure it's being working on. Its unfortunate people lost their passwords, but like others here I have backups of my passwords, I feel sorry for those that lost them, but backing up is very important, and a lesson for us all has been learned here once again, make sure you back up regularly.

Hopefully this issue will be addressed in the next release, as of now I have the signons3.txt excluded, so no its not an issue. If this is to remain a new feature of CCLeaner maybe having it as a separate option would be good, or at least a warning added to the application as to what may happen if you tick this box, and maybe a sticky put up on the forum explaining to people how to exclude this file if that's the way CCleaner is going to work from now on, ideally It would be good to have it returned to its original way of working and if we ever wanted to wipe out all our passwords all we need to do is to include the file. :)

• Moderators

Just about any disk cleaning program can cause an issue even Windows own disk cleanup which went crazy on my system some months ago. One thing for certain folks do make backups of your Firefox profile as even a Windows issue can make you loose everything.

I'd recommend installing and using the Firefox addon called FEBE which can make backup copies of your whole Firefox profile (if configured to do so) and you can have a backup interval of your choice including multiple backup copies by date.

Well, you guys have complained so much that they decided to remove the behavior...

There is a new version v2.19.901 that puts "Saved Form Information" for Firefox back to how it was.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showto...mp;&do=findComment&comment=135774

Even though i don't think this is the correct solution as passwords saved on FF profile folder is a major flaw as anyone can read it using the "key3.db" right there in the same folder!!!

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Signons.txt

But now you have it back! I hope you enjoy having everyone reading your passwords!

thanks