What was used to make the forms?

fmwyso

Hey, I am an inspiring computer programmer... I use every single application from Piriform and recommend them to any friend of mine in need of them... They usually end up saying, "Wow, where did you find these? They are amazing!".

So, I have a couple questions to ask about how the programs were programmed...

#1. What language were they programmed in?

#2. What API's ( if any ) were used to draw the form? I am currently trying to mess around with drawing my own form, but I don't know what API I should use...

#3. How many people actively programmed these applications? I ask because the applications look so extensive, yet this company(?) is so small so I can't imagine you guys having a huge staff...

If these questions could be answered, that would be great! :D.

Welcome to Piriform fmwyso.

So, I have a couple questions to ask about how the programs were programmed...

#1. What language were they programmed in?

#2. What API's ( if any ) were used to draw the form? I am currently trying to mess around with drawing my own form, but I don't know what API I should use...

#3. How many people actively programmed these applications? I ask because the applications look so extensive, yet this company(?) is so small so I can't imagine you guys having a huge staff...

Well the first versions 1.0 were made with Visual Basic. Version 2.0 on are made with C++. I think you'll find that MrG writes these programmes. I've PM'ed him over a question about how he finds certain info but he never replies, maybe you could have better luck.

If you're a programmer what languages are you used to? I use VB6 (read my sig).

In VB there are no special API calls to produce the Forms. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Welcome to Piriform fmwyso.

Well the first versions 1.0 were made with Visual Basic. Version 2.0 on are made with C++. I think you'll find that MrG writes these programmes. I've PM'ed him over a question about how he finds certain info but he never replies, maybe you could have better luck.

If you're a programmer what languages are you used to? I use VB6 (read my sig).

In VB there are no special API calls to produce the Forms. ;)

I'm not necessarily a programmer ( not professional yet )... I'm currently just a hobbyist and am in my first class for programming... But I've been a "hobbyist" for about 3-4 years now just playing around with languages... Python ( Delphi ), C/C++, VB.NET, and VC++ ( It is so different from C++ that I count it as a different language ).

I don't really like VB.NET because it doesn't allow much customization ( Same as VB6 ), and when I try to draw my own forms they end up taking up memory and being just really laggy... Especially when I try to do a gradient in VB.NET for my form background...

So, I figured it would be a fun/educational thing to try and draw my own form using GDI+ or GDI but it is Microsoft and I'm having doubts on it because I haven't been fond of other MS products...

So... MrG writes the programs? I'll try sending him a PM, and if he doesn't respond then I understand...

I don't really like VB.NET because it doesn't allow much customization ( Same as VB6 ), and when I try to draw my own forms they end up taking up memory and being just really laggy... Especially when I try to do a gradient in VB.NET for my form background...

Well you haven't used VB6 much because it doesn't take much memory to gradient a Form. ;)

Edit: Ok I've added another Gradient app.

Gradient.zip

Gradient.zip

Edited by Keithuk

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Well you haven't used VB6 much because it doesn't take much memory to gradient a Form. ;)

That takes even longer than VB.NET to be honest with you :P. If you want to know true memory optimization, take a look at Notepad++... The day I see any VB.NET / VB6- app with the same functionality, speed and memory use as Notepad++ is the day I give up on C. But, that just won't happen.

That takes even longer than VB.NET to be honest with you :P. If you want to know true memory optimization, take a look at Notepad++... The day I see any VB.NET / VB6- app with the same functionality, speed and memory use as Notepad++ is the day I give up on C. But, that just won't happen.

Well that just shows how crap VB.Net is. I've never used Notepad++ so I can't comment on that one. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best