My uncle's computer

LuLu

Ok, I'm gonna try to keep this short and hopefully someone will be able to figure this out.

My uncle installed a Belkin wireless router like 2 months ago (Compaq running XP). Well, for the past month his desktop will not connect to the internet but his laptop will. The laptop connects as a "strong connection" at 54mbps. His desktop shows as "little or no connectivity" at 100mbps. When I right click on his LAN and use the "repair" option, it tells me it cannot renew the IP address and to contact the network provider. Now I told him to call Road Runner like 3 weeks ago when he told me about this problem and he never did it. So today I go to his house and I call Road Runner and tell them what's happening. They refresh the connection and yadda yadda yadda and in the end they tell me I have to call Belkin because Belkin has to set the IP address or some such mess.

So, I call Belkin and am on the phone for probably 2 1/2 - 3 hours with this guy named Ichbar. I tell him what's happening and he has me connect the laptop directly to the router. He asks if I'm connected to the internet and I tell him yes. He says ok go here, here and here and download this firmware update. So I do all of that and then we putz around with update and whatnot. So after we've set all that up he says "And are you able to connect to the internet using your laptop now?" and I was like "Yes. I've been able to connect to the internet the entire time. The desktop is the one that won't connect". So he says "Ok connect the desktop to the router and then let me know what happens". So I connect the router to the desktop and it still comes up with "little to no connectivity" at 100mbps. So I tell him and he says click "repair" under properties. So I do and once again it tells me to renew the IP address and to contact my network provider. So I tell him and he says "I am sorry for the problem but I cannot assist you any further".

So I guess what I want to know is A) can I manually input the IP/gateway/DNS addresses myself with the information I got while "pinging", B) should I try to reinstall the Road Runner stuff (assuming we can find an install disk) or C) do I have to install a new ethernet card? I'm at a loss and am ready to throw his PC through a wall. lol Any takers?

I'm here. What are your other two wishes?

I'll give it a go. I was also thinking of trying the "release" and "renew" option in the CMD prompt, but I've never had to use that before so I don't want to screw something up and make things worse. :wacko:

• Moderators

I don't think release, renew would cause any problems. If anything it could fix things.

Don't forget the tool in Internet Explorer 7:

Tools -> Diagnose Connection Problems

Could just be closed ports too if he's ever used something like WWDC incorrectly which can kill a connection if the wrong options are selected.

Then again it could be an LSP issue from a formerly/incorrectly removed LSP from malware. If there's an LSP problem which a scan with Spybot-S&D may detect, then again there's dedicated programs like LSP-Fix and Winsock Fix.

If you go the LSP fixing route, make registry backups first!

It's highly recommended to download the freeware ERUNT utility which can quickly and easily create and restore a known good registry backup. A registry backup should be done before using LSP-Fix or Winsock Fix! The version of ERUNT included with Winsock Fix seems broken and doesn't seem to work, therefore the need to get a working version. A working version of ERUNT is available at: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt

Well he doesn't do much on his PC other than email and banking, but you never know. I'll have to ask him what he's done in the last month with it. Maybe the answer lies in there somewhere. Thanks for the help!

One problem with that lol. I can't connect to the internet with his PC and as far as I know, he doesn't have a rewrite drive for me to transfer the log onto and post from his laptop. He's already bought a new ethernet card anyhow. If anything, I install the new one for him and I get to keep the old one for one of my home grown systems I've yet to build. lol

Now his laptop on the other hand...THAT I would like to do a log for because I know he doesn't have any safety stuffs set up on it. But there's no point when I don't have access to it unless I'm at his house. So if anything was found, I wouldn't be able to fix it right away. But I will probably set up the firewall and spyware/malware programs on it while I'm there just to make sure everything is clean.

Ok, I'm gonna try to keep this short and hopefully someone will be able to figure this out.

My uncle installed a Belkin wireless router like 2 months ago (Compaq running XP). Well, for the past month his desktop will not connect to the internet but his laptop will. The laptop connects as a "strong connection" at 54mbps. His desktop shows as "little or no connectivity" at 100mbps. When I right click on his LAN and use the "repair" option, it tells me it cannot renew the IP address and to contact the network provider. Now I told him to call Road Runner like 3 weeks ago when he told me about this problem and he never did it. So today I go to his house and I call Road Runner and tell them what's happening. They refresh the connection and yadda yadda yadda and in the end they tell me I have to call Belkin because Belkin has to set the IP address or some such mess.

So, I call Belkin and am on the phone for probably 2 1/2 - 3 hours with this guy named Ichbar.

stopped reading and lol'd, sorry.

read your last post, try using Teamviewer to remotely access his laptop and get the info you need? :>