My modem has had a hickup

YoKenny

I am having dificulty connecting and a new modem is on the way so should be here by Wed. or Thur next week.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I'm kinda limping along on the old XP Home system

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

At least you still have a way to get online. Old XP is better than no PC at all. lol

I'm here. What are your other two wishes?

• Moderators

Are you sure it isn't your ISP?

I had thought my DSL modem went kaput not too long ago but it was a problem with my ISP having a whole area down which also subsequently had speeds slower than dial-up.

I had a long dialog with my ISP and they had me reset the modem and I still could not get into the modem diagnostics so they offered me a replacement.

I powered everything down then went out for a bite to eat then I figured that I would try it again and somehow it started to work.

My XP Pro system was still acting weird as I could not get into Hotmail or many other sites so I booted the diagnostic floppy and ran all of the diagnostics this morning but now I can not get it to boot as somehow the hard disk is empty.

I called IBM to see if they could help me but they could not so I have to order a replacement XP Pro CD Monday.

This is all very weird as this all started New Years day with weird things happening to this old XP Home system so I booted the XP Home CD and had to remove the partitions then add it back as one 80GB drive then install XP Home then SP3 from a CD I had then slowly get all the applications I like installed.

Oh well I guess the old systems needed a cleanup as I have not messed around like this for a few years.

IE7Pro user

The speed tests are good now as well

383364879.png

IE7Pro user

Here you go Kenny, to celebrate your full return to the forum

Tell the young people today the trouble we had and they won't believe you.

I lived in crack in road wi naught but flower sacks fer trousers and cold kippers fer supper.

IE7Pro user

Pleased you got sorted Ken, and hazel, that sketch killed me when I first saw it, and it kills me now.

That's just what my Dad sounded like. :lol:

I'm happy now.

That's how my mum sounded.

But we loved the Goon Show on radio before we had a Telly.

IE7Pro user

The new modem arrived yesterday and it is working great.

I am now installing the 4 Recovery CDs on the XP Pro system.

It is a miserable day here today with snow and then a nice icing of freezing rain is forecast.

What a wonderful day to spend indoors toasty warm and lots of things to do and places to go on the Internet gathering my favourite goodies.

From what I remember I will have to remove Norton first then SP3 next.

IE7Pro user