What is undesirable?

Oldgoat

Well I just joined up this forum today. This is my first post. Being a Oldgoat I hope one is patient with me. A'nt easy being old.

I read one of the remarks from one of the reviews that I read on the CCleaner webpage. I quote. "Be sure that what you erase is undesirable". My question is how does one know what is undesirable in the registry? Especially for one who is just a beginner with computers. I have looked at my registry out of curiosity and naturally just looked and did not do any changes to it, but the first thing that I said to myself was what is suppose to be there and not? I thank any one who might respond to my question.

• Moderators

Hi Oldgoat, and welcome to the forum.

There are one or two mature members on this forum, the writer included, and I'm sure you could learn a lot on here either by simply observing, or better still, joining in.

You don't have to actually know anything to do that. The lounge is for anything and everything, and not necessarily to do with computers, and you can also ask questions and pick brains till your hearts content.

Get any sort of problem with your PC, and you could probably find the solution here by posting your problem.

To your question. Until you pick up some knowledge about PC's in general, and the registry in particular, I'd suggest you leave it alone for now. You could do a scan for issues if you need to satisfy your curiosity, and see what sort of list you get, but don't fix them.

Have a good read of the CCleaner Guide, a link to which you'll find in my signature at the bottom of this window, and if you don't already know, learn how to do a "System Restore", and how to make sure it's actually on and monitoring your C: drive.

System Restore:

This is assuming you have XP.

Post back here, and give us some basic info such as which operating system you run (XP, Vista), and we can then give you some basic guidance/advice.

CCleaner is an exellent program for helping to maintain your PC, but PC's are complicated beasts, and can easily take a wobbler for seemingly no reason at all. It's therefore pretty important to know the basic methods of rescuing yourself from problems before you embark on something which could cause even a minor one.

Hope this helps, and look forward to seeing you on the forum.

Hi Oldgoat, and welcome to the forum.

There are one or two mature members on this forum, the writer included, and I'm sure you could learn a lot on here either by simply observing, or better still, joining in.

You don't have to actually know anything to do that. The lounge is for anything and everything, and not necessarily to do with computers, and you can also ask questions and pick brains till your hearts content.

Get any sort of problem with your PC, and you could probably find the solution here by posting your problem.

To your question. Until you pick up some knowledge about PC's in general, and the registry in particular, I'd suggest you leave it alone for now. You could do a scan for issues if you need to satisfy your curiosity, and see what sort of list you get, but don't fix them.

Have a good read of the CCleaner Guide, a link to which you'll find in my signature at the bottom of this window, and if you don't already know, learn how to do a "System Restore", and how to make sure it's actually on and monitoring your C: drive.

System Restore:

This is assuming you have XP.

Post back here, and give us some basic info such as which operating system you run (XP, Vista), and we can then give you some basic guidance/advice.

CCleaner is an exellent program for helping to maintain your PC, but PC's are complicated beasts, and can easily take a wobbler for seemingly no reason at all. It's therefore pretty important to know the basic methods of rescuing yourself from problems before you embark on something which could cause even a minor one.

Hope this helps, and look forward to seeing you on the forum.

Thank you DennisD for your reply.

My system is Windows XP Professional SP3

Pentium D 2.80GHz HD250GB 3GB RAM

About the System Restore. I ran into a problem when I did try a System Restore and find that I must do this from time to time.

When trying to restore I would get the following message: :Restoration Incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored..." when you run Windows System Restore.

I was able to get some good information on my problem which envolves the fact that it all has to do with the Norton Internet Security 2009 that is installed in my machine. I followed the instructions and I was able to make a Restore Point but must do this many times in past. If interested you go go to the website since it would explain better what was going on than I can.

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html

I will take the time to read the CCleaner Beginner's Guide and about System Restore.

Thank you

Oldgoat

Scanning and reading, but not removing any registry items, over a period of time is how I learned (roughly) what reg items are needed and which ones are leftovers. This forum is an immense help as to what is needed and what is junk. Stick with it. React slowly, cautiously. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

When you do start correcting registry issues, I would highly recommend answering Yes when CCleaner asks if you want to backup the changes. Many people don't and you can "hear" their agonized cries on this forum when they ask for help.

CCleaner can make the backup in an eye blink and the .reg file will be there if you need to merge it to set things back to the status quo.

• Moderators
When trying to restore I would get the following message: :Restoration Incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored..." when you run Windows System Restore.

That's why System Restore isn't something to completely rely upon. Many of us on here also use ERUNT (freeware) which makes daily registry backups. If System Restore ever fails you could always use an ERUNT registry backup to at least restore the registry which in most cases is enough to revive a troubled system.

• Moderators

I'd go a bit further with backups. If you haven't already done so, I'd begin backing up your more important stuff such as photographs, music etc., and have a look at backing up your drive, which would rescue you from a complete drive or Operating System failure.

I think we're chucking a lot of stuff at you here, so I'll just give you a couple of links to free software which quite a few members use.

Backing up personal data:

Karens Replicator.

Backing up your C: (System) Drive:

Macrium Reflect. (Free Version)

You don't have to jump feet first into this stuff. Take a look at them, and search out info about them with the forum search tool, or come back with any questions you have.

We get a lot of people on here with problems that could be easily solved by having back-ups. It can seem tedious to have to do this stuff, but they really are life savers.

• Moderators

I think that the word 'undesirable' is far too judgemental. After all being told you are unwanted is one thing, but being told you are undesirable is just slanderous. These registry entries are better described, as indeed my boss described me once, as no longer needed.

I would only tamper with the registry entries that you can identify as not needed any more. In my case, with a Dell, anything with AOL or McAfee in the name, or file extensions that are obviously silly. And of course follow the good advice already given in this thread.

Regards, another old goat. (Coincidentally I'm off for a goat curry this evening, can't wait.)