Backup CCleaner

tickerric

Not sure if I am asking this right (newbie). Every time CCleaner puts out a new update it puts in on my desktop and it is starting to get a little crowded. Can I back all of these up to a flashdrive or floppy and use it from that? I have about 7 of these updates on the desktop. Thanks for any help with this problem.

Welcome tickerric

I made a Download Folder on my C: drive that I download items to.

In CCleaner uncheck Last Download Location so that the Folder location is remembered.

I usually install the application that I downloaded and delete the install file after I am satisfied that it is working correctly.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Not sure if I am asking this right (newbie). Every time CCleaner puts out a new update it puts in on my desktop and it is starting to get a little crowded. Can I back all of these up to a flashdrive or floppy and use it from that? I have about 7 of these updates on the desktop. Thanks for any help with this problem.

Hi tickerric,

Welcome to the forums !!! :D

Wow !!!

How many other applications are the same way ?

Can you still see your Desktop ?

Just pulling your leg. :P It certainly is time to clean up.

Give us some more information about what browser and Download Manager that you use.

This may help us to decide what other Applications may help you to avoid this and make your updating much easier.

Best wishes, :) davey

Hi tickerric,

Welcome to the forums !!! :D

Wow !!!

How many other applications are the same way ?

Can you still see your Desktop ?

Just pulling your leg. :P It certainly is time to clean up.

Give us some more information about what browser and Download Manager that you use.

This may help us to decide what other Applications may help you to avoid this and make your updating much easier.

Best wishes, :) davey

Hello there, I use Firefox and the Download from Firefox. When downloading the updates, I uncheck the shortcuts, start menu and Yahoo toolbar. I thought that might keep them from showing up on the desktop, but that doesn't seem to work. It said when updating, that you don't have to delete the older version. If I do, will that mess up the current update? I started using CCleaner a few months back, and it has really helped a lot, but just need to get this desktop cleaned up.

Thank you, tickerric

• Moderators

Hi tickerric, and a welcome from me as well.

Install CCleaner over the old install, that way, it retains all your settings.

As with Ken, I have a download folder for the Program Installers, and I used to keep them. The only Installers I keep now are those that I couldn't replace.

Everything else gets binned after install, as they are always available to be downloaded again from links like the one hazel provided. But this is a personal choice thing.

When you begin a download, the download "Save or Open" dialogue window gives you the choice of where to save it. Always use the "save" option and in the download window, navigate to where you want it.

When installing new software, it might be advisable to include a "Start Menu" entry. That way you could keep on your desktop only the programs you use on a regular basis, and any you don't, you could launch from the "Start\All Programs" menu.

Just a suggestion that might tidy things up a bit, but again, it's all personal choice.

:)

Welcome to Piriform tickerric.

Not sure if I am asking this right (newbie). Every time CCleaner puts out a new update it puts in on my desktop and it is starting to get a little crowded. Can I back all of these up to a flashdrive or floppy and use it from that? I have about 7 of these updates on the desktop.

As already mentioned his sounds like a bad download location. The first thing you download of the web will always defaults to the desktop unless you specify a particular folder.

I made a Download Folder on my C: drive that I download items to.

In CCleaner uncheck Last Download Location so that the Folder location is remembered.

As Kenny says create a Download folder on your hard drive. Choose any name you want too C:\Downloads is something you will remember.

You don't really need a backup because the past 52 versions are stored on FileHippo. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Hi tickerric, and a welcome from me as well.

Install CCleaner over the old install, that way, it retains all your settings.

As with Ken, I have a download folder for the Program Installers, and I used to keep them. The only Installers I keep now are those that I couldn't replace.

Everything else gets binned after install, as they are always available to be downloaded again from links like the one hazel provided. But this is a personal choice thing.

When you begin a download, the download "Save or Open" dialogue window gives you the choice of where to save it. Always use the "save" option and in the download window, navigate to where you want it.

When installing new software, it might be advisable to include a "Start Menu" entry. That way you could keep on your desktop only the programs you use on a regular basis, and any you don't, you could launch from the "Start\All Programs" menu.

Just a suggestion that might tidy things up a bit, but again, it's all personal choice.

:)

Hello again

I have done what y'all told me and put a download folder on my hard drive for the future. Now should I delete all the downloads except the last one to clean up my desktop?? I didn't realize that I was downloading it all to my desktop, until I checked my options on Firefox, duh. Y'all have been such great help.

Thanks, tickerric

I have Firefox downloading into "My Received Files".

The wonderful benefit is that all of "My Documents" and its sub-directories are blocked from the evil eye of System Restore, and when I delete any installer I immediately save hard disk space.

If you download to Desktop - or most other places in C:\, then deleting any installer (or any file with a 101 or more set of possible extensions) will actually waste more space.

System Restore will grab it before it is gone and place a copy (different name but same extension and same size) in the current Restore Point and also dump into its change.log a full path description of where it came from just in case you should ever try to roll back to a previous Restore Point.

That was a long sentence without punctuation. I also get breathless when System Restore hijacks the system for a solid 20 seconds whilst it does its party tricks on an executable I never wanted it to see. And if my anti-virus takes a real-time interest in the executable that really makes my day !!!

Regards

Alan