IE 8

edallen

Has anyone had any problems after installing this? I did; every time I went to My Favorites, IE decided it had to close down. I

solved that (I think) by going through the Reset Internet Explorer procedure.

Now I notice that the print on the sites seems smaller or thinner than before. Is there any way to change that?? Thanks. :mellow:

Never mind. I figured it out from my Absolute Beginner's Guide to Computer Basics. Sorry.

Guess everything changed when I did the Restart Internet Explorer. :P

I'm using IE8 beta2 on my old PIII with XP Pro SP3 plus IE7Pro and like it a lot.

I especially like the fact that it highlights the root URL address of the site that is active.

I loved Tokyo when I was there in the Spring of '92 when the Cherry blossoms were in full bloom in the parks that I visited on my days off.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Well, come on back one of these springtimes. Been a lot of changes in those 16 years, but still a tremendous amount of cherry trees... :lol:

Well, back again. My McAfee Security Site Advisor suddenly stopped working and, although the virus, etc. are apparently operating according to the Security Center, when I click the icon on the desktop (or the one on the toolbar at the bottom) only a blank screen shows up. Just got off chat with McAfee Customer Service and they told me to uninstall IE8 and IE7 would automatically come back and McAfee would work fine. Well, two things - first, I can't seem to find what to do to uninstall IE8 - doesn't seem to show on add/remove programs in my computer. Any help here would be appreciated.

And, secondly, since this McAfee seems to have found with Malwarebytes and now with IE8, maybe I would be better off just uninstalling McAfee and getting a different virus program. And suggestions on a good one?

Thanks for any help?opinions.

Seems like I just think everything is going smoothly and then, bang. LOL :lol:

I could not get SiteAdvisor to work on IE8 beta 2 so I now use Web of Trust ( WoT )

I like Avast! for my XP Home system and Avir AntiVir for my old PIII

When I visited Tokyo I was on full expenses and had my airfare paid and now that I am retired I can't even afford taxi fare.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Well, you sure have that right!! Prices are sky high compared to the States, that is what makes shopping such an easy thing to do... Over the internet or actually in the States. I will be going back to the Midwest next May for the first time in 7 years and I was amazed at the rigamarole due to the 9/11 disaster.

Anyway, Kenny, I have decided that I will stick with IE8 and uninstall all the McAfee stuff - seems like they are just always behind in updating their programs to be compatible with others...

Thanks for the suggestions and I will check out the sites. :lol:

Well, found out I could not uninstall IE8 and they (Microsoft) don't even want to put it back to 7 or 6. So... I downloaded Firefox 3 Mozilla as my default browser and the McAfee Security Sige bar appeared immediately. The icon on the desktop and tool bar still only give me a blank page but I will wait a couple of days to see if the miraculously return (like they miraculously disappeared). In the meantime I am check out anti-virus to replace this darn McAfee....

I know that Microsoft has crippled the return to IE7 once IE8 beta2 has been installed but then it is beta after all and that is why I chose to install it on the old PIII.

I do not like Firefox but if it works for you then that's OK.

SiteAdvisor is having problems and I think that it has to do with its popularity as witness to the situations in its forum:

http://community.mcafee.com/forumdisplay.php?f=194

That is the only thing of McAfee I would permit on my system.

I remember 9/11 very well as I was out of work and I was staying at a friend's place and I went to a local coffee shop for us where I heard the announcement on the radio that was playing at the time and I thought that it was a terrible accident so I went home and switched over to CNN and watched it for the rest of the day in shock and amazement at the unfolding events.

I found that the statistic that over 2400 people lost their lives interesting in the aftermath and about the same number of people lost their lives in the Perl Harbor attack many years before dragging the US into WWII that they thought they were isolated from.

Unfortunately there will always be Terrorism as long as people inhabit this Beautiful Planet that we humans call Earth.

Ages ago I read a book called Childhood's End which opened my eyes to our human traits.

IE7Pro user

I can't seem to find what to do to uninstall IE8 - doesn't seem to show on add/remove programs in my computer.

If you have SP3 and you installed SP3 without uninstalling IE first, that may be why. Microsoft's recommendation was to remove IE7 (PC would revert to IE6) before installing SP3 and then reinstaling IE7. Otherwise you can't remove IE without uninstalling SP3 and starting over. The problem carried over when you updated to IE8 beta 2.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950719/en-us

Thanks, Larry. I am going to take a deep breath and try to accomplish this. I am still a little afraid of computers - seem a deep, dark secret... LOL :lol:

Forgot to ask - of course - since Firefox 3 Mozilla is my default browser now, will I experience any problems with this uninstall of IE8? I am wondering if IE7 will automatically become the default?? If you know, would appreciate an answer. Thanks.

I am ashamed to say that I took the easy way out and un-installed McAfee and installed Avast Home Edition 4.8. Tried to uninstall SP3, couldn't and thought I better not play around too much. LOL Hopefully I am in for a pleasant use now. Thank you all for your advice/help. :rolleyes:

I think you will be much happier.

See you over at the Avast! forum:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php

Whatever browser you choose will give you the option to be the default browser.

To be honest I do not like the way IE8 jumps around and sometimes Home and End keys do not work and the way I have found to get them to work is to move the slider on the right up or down a bit..

That would not convince me to install Firefox though.

Opera is OK but its different.

IE7Pro user

If you have SP3 and you installed SP3 without uninstalling IE first, that may be why. Microsoft's recommendation was to remove IE7 (PC would revert to IE6) before installing SP3 and then reinstaling IE7. Otherwise you can't remove IE without uninstalling SP3 and starting over. The problem carried over when you updated to IE8 beta 2.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950719/en-us

Typical MS BS making you jump through hoops to use their total $hit software. The only thing IE is good for is when you run out of toilet paper ;)

Install Opera or FireFox or both and just forget IE is even installed.