How to remove Google Toolbar for Firefox entry.

Anthony A

I recently removed the Google Toolbar for Firefox. The entry in CCleaner is still there though on one of my machines. What file or reg key do I need to delete to get rid of the entry? I looked at the winapp.ini file but it doesn't provide a path for the file or reg key it just says "special key". So I need to know what CCleaner is detecting to list The Google Toolbar for Firefox.

Have you checked the registry for a google key? HKCU\Software\Google

Yes and no key. Thats where the Google Toolbar for IE would be. The Google Toolbar for Firefox is installed in Firefox where as the Google Toolbar for IE is installed in Windows and actually has it's own add/remove programs entry to uninstall it.

CCleaner obviously looks for something to determine if The Google Toolbar for FF is installed. I need to figure out what.

This might help. The lad who wrote the software, and maintains the site has posted on here before.

It might be a case of putting the toolbar back and using his software for a clean removal. I've never used it, so not too sure of that.

Toolbar Uninstaller:

Thanks I will look at that.

MR G or some one on his team must know what CCleaner uses to see if The Google Tool Bar for FF is present.

I figured this out and it was a stupid oversight on my part. There is a Google Toolbar data folder in the FF Profile folder that needs to be deleted. I had deleted this on my other machines and thought I had on the machine with the problem to but didn't. Hazel Nut sent me a link about some files in FF that might be the problem and while I was looking for those files in my Profile folder I noticed I had not deleted the Data folder for the Google Toolbar. Deleted it and problem solved. I will go stand in the corner now.

• Moderators
I noticed I had not deleted the Data folder for the Google Toolbar.

Don't forget to snoop around inside your FF prefs.js file too located in your profile folder, many FF add-ons put settings in there and completely fail to remove them after they've been uninstalled.

Don't forget to snoop around inside your FF prefs.js file too located in your profile folder, many FF add-ons put settings in there and completely fail to remove them after they've been uninstalled.

The prefs.js was the file Hazelnut sent me info about and I was looking for when I realized I didn't delete the Google Toolbar data folder.

From what I understand the about:config feature in FF is the UI for the prefs.js file.

• Moderators
From what I understand the about:config feature in FF is the UI for the prefs.js file.

Yeah, that has been discussed on here in the past but using the built in about:config doesn't show you absolutely everything. There's some instances where you actually have to load prefs.js in a text editor such as Notepad to remove leftovers.

Yeah, that has been discussed on here in the past but using the built in about:config doesn't show you absolutely everything. There's some instances where you actually have to load prefs.js in a text editor such as Notepad to remove leftovers.

I will check it out. I don't mess with that file very much usually just use the about:config.

Spent some time going through the entries on both FF 2 and 3 in the prefs.js file. Surprisingly no left overs from any of the extensions that I have removed. It looks like the about:config works fine for removing everything.

One thing to keep in mind using about:config. When you uninstall an extension if you see some left over about:config entries for that extension try right clicking the entry and select "reset". Than restart FF. Those entries will be gone. That's what I have been doing and my prefs.js file is clean of left over garbage. I just did a fresh set up of FF 3 portable so that wasn't a good one to check for this but by installs of FF2 are well over a year old and I have tried many extensions and removed them and the prefs.js file for it is clean to. I will keep on eye on it in the future and see if anything does get left behind in there though.

• 2 months later...