Disabled JavaScript

CeeCee

I started a new security policy, where i disable JavaScript from my browser (Opera), and use "Edit site preferences" to enable JS for (trusted) sites it's really needed. Security wise this is a really good thing to do, because along with ActiveX, JavaScript is basicly the root of all evil. Another nice thing is, that disabling JS also prevents Flash ads from loading. Disabling JS makes (most) plug-ins not working. With Firefox, you can use "NoScript" extension, which blocks JS from all sites by default. With IE, you can use the "Zones" settings. Just remember, that many (actually not so many) sites will not work correctly with JS disabled, but you can make those specific rules, to allow JS for sites you want it to work.

How many of you use this policy? Or do you think it's a pain (to always allow JS for wanted sites)?

• Moderators

I've been doing this for some time now CeeCee, and most sites I visit or use, including this one, load much quicker with Javascript disabled.

I have a JS toggle button next to my Java one now, and I only activate it to post or send a pm. With general surfing I only have to activate it to watch the occassional video that needs it.

Using Opera buttons:

i302_JavaToggles.jpg

• Moderators
How many of you use this policy? Or do you think it's a pain (to always allow JS for wanted sites)?

I used to use something similar with a proxy filtering software I used aeons ago but don't anymore. That's back when IE and Netscape were at war and when I used to use both of them. When I first started using Opera years ago in the early 2000's when it was commercial software I had JavaScript turned off and would only enable it on my trusted sites, others got no such treatment.

Nowadays with Firefox and Opera and with just about any run-of-the-mill paid or free antivirus installed with built in self-protection against being uninstalled or disabled JavaScript isn't going to be able to easily infect a system with warning lights flashing.

• 2 weeks later...