CCleaner

grahame

Hi just downloaded CCleaner and would appreciate if someone could tell me what boxs its safe to tick all in the advance section,

advanced

old prefetch data

menu order cache

tray notifications cache

windows sze/location cache

user assist history

iis log files

hotfix unistallers

custom files and folders

Also I installed vista home premium last week then did a scan using zonealarm sercurity suite and found that there was 90.000files and folders scanned would these go back to when i had windows pro 2002 installed if so is there some software program i could install to remove these files.

Thanks (hope you can understand what i mean)

Grahame

• Moderators

Personally I only have the Old Prefetch Data and User Assist History ticked (and Custom Files/folders, but that's only relevant if you have included/excluded files). That should be quite safe. I would steer clear of ticking anything which throws up a warning message.

In your Vista question, if you mean that you have thousands more files than when you had Win 2k then I'm not at all surprised. I'm sure there are some, if not many, that can be removed, there may be some info on Google. Or some Vista expert may drop by.

• Moderators

The Following is MY OPINION ONLY AND REALLY I THINK IT IS UP TO YOU BUT IF I CAN HELP SOME BY GIVING MHO THAN I WILL.

advanced

old prefetch data (yes)

menu order cache I use classic Start menu so I don't know about this one

tray notifications cache (if you have specific things you've told Vista to always show or always Hide DO NOT DO THIS ONE else go for it it'll get rid of some programs that may have been one shots)

windows sze/location cache Yes

user assist history

iis log files yes

hotfix unistallers I do this but only just before the new patch tuesday when I've been using patches for a month and know I won't need to uninstall them

custom files and folders only if you have custom files or folders set in the options section LOL

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I question the wisdom of selecting old prefetch data (yes)

The prefetch files are rolled out after a time of not being used and aid in system rebooting time reduction.

If you clean out the prefetch file then Windows has to rebuild them at next reboot thus increasing reboot time.

You can set what level of prefetch file caching you need with:

Windows XP Prefetch Clean And Control 1.2.0:

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2495

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

I agree prefetch is neither *** or watercress (youngsters and non-UK'ers will have to guess or google that). But I thought prefetch only contained info on load optimisation of applications, not Windows O/S, so wouldn't be used at bootup? I suppose, on thinking about it, if you had lots of applications in your startup then yes, it could come into play.

I like watercress sandwiches but I have not had one in a long while.

The prefetch files not only speeds up bootup but also application loading while you are using the system.

For example say you use CCleaner, Explorer, Internet Explorer, Outlook Express or Notepad during your logged in session then you quit one to work on another then decide to go back then the prefetch is used to speed up the application loading of the application you were using before.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I question the wisdom of selecting old prefetch data (yes)

The prefetch files are rolled out after a time of not being used

I agree also. Personally I even question the inclusion of this option in CCleaner, especially as it is quite widely accepted now that deleting prefetch files is pointless and achieves nothing of any use. But then there will always be some who insist there is some good reason for deleting them so I guess the CCleaner guys will forever leave it in the program (and further enforce the myth that it is in some way worthwhile).