Keeping settings the same across multiple computers

lwolf

Hello. I am trying to use CCleaner for a network of computers - to cleanup user's PCs and am running into a little trouble. I am looking for a little guidance.

I have run CCleaner on my computer, and specified the option Save All Settings to INI file. So in that INI file, only the above options are set to True, all other options are set to False. Then I copied this CCleaner.INI file to a temp directory on each computer on the network, along with CCleaner.EXE. My intention is to run CCleaner.EXE /AUTO

I believe this is techncially working, but my problem is that I want to limit the amount of cleaning to just the following:

- Internet Explorer -> Temporary Internet Files

- System -> Empty Recycle Bin

- System -> Temporary Files

- System -> Clipboard

- System -> Memory Dumps

- System -> Chkdsk File Fragments.

I do not want to clean ANY other options on the Windows tab, and I do not want to clean ANY options at all from the Applications tab (at least not at this time).

My problem is.... when I copy my template CCleaner.INI file to user's PCs, and then run the GUI for CCleaner (just running GUI for initial testing purposes, would normally not run the GUI in production), there are other options checked on the Windows tab and the Applications tab in the GUI - all of these options are options that do not exist on my PC when I created the INI file (ie Office 2007, Acroba Reader 8, Sun Java, Spybot, Tumbnal Cache, etc)

Is there any way to tell CCleaner not to add any more/new selections, and only select the items that I specifically set to True in my template INI file? Or is there another way to accmplish my goal?

Thanks very much, in advance.

Lloyd

• Moderators

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Nergal,

Hello. Thanks for the reply. I woudl like to clarify to help make sure that I understand.

I am familiar with the portable version - but I thought that was simply the EXE file for distribution purposes, which would make it easier/possible for me to run CCleaner.EXE on all the network PCs - without having to run a setup program.

I had only planned on running the full/GUI version on my personal PC - to set the contents of the INI file. Then I also tested the openign of the GUI version of a secodn test PC - to confirm that only my initial settings remained checked/enabled. And I was suprised to see that new options were now also enabled on the second PC.

Are you saying that, if I only distribute the Portable version, along with the the INI file that I made on my GUI version, that all of the other PCs will respect the contents fo the existing/distributed INI file, and no additional items will be cleaned (ie no items will eb cleaned that were not part of the INI fiel that was created using the GUI version of my first PC)?

Thanks for the help.

Lloyd

• Moderators
Nergal,

Hello. Thanks for the reply. I woudl like to clarify to help make sure that I understand.

I am familiar with the portable version - but I thought that was simply the EXE file for distribution purposes, which would make it easier/possible for me to run CCleaner.EXE on all the network PCs - without having to run a setup program.

I had only planned on running the full/GUI version on my personal PC - to set the contents of the INI file. Then I also tested the openign of the GUI version of a secodn test PC - to confirm that only my initial settings remained checked/enabled. And I was suprised to see that new options were now also enabled on the second PC.

Are you saying that, if I only distribute the Portable version, along with the the INI file that I made on my GUI version, that all of the other PCs will respect the contents fo the existing/distributed INI file, and no additional items will be cleaned (ie no items will eb cleaned that were not part of the INI fiel that was created using the GUI version of my first PC)?

Thanks for the help.

Lloyd

Lloyd, nope the porti is the full program (about 2.2 mb) and is just all contained in the one folder including the settings. Also there is some discussion about setting your domain to run CCleaner/auto at log off I'll come back for the link later if you can't find it but it's pretty recent.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

So I will go back to my original scenerio/question...

I want to limit the cleaning to just these items

- Internet Explorer -> Temporary Internet Files

- System -> Empty Recycle Bin

- System -> Temporary Files

- System -> Clipboard

- System -> Memory Dumps

- System -> Chkdsk File Fragments.

I make the CCleaner.INI file on my computer - using the full/GUI program. I copy that CCleaner.INI file to the other network PCs, along with the portable CCleaner.EXE program. I want to resitrct these computers to only cleaning what as in my original CCleaner.INI file. But what seems to happen is, extra programs that are on the end-user PCs, which are not on my PCs, end up being selected for cleaning (for example: Office 2007, Acroba Reader 8, Sun Java, Spybot, Tumbnal Cache, etc)

How do/can I resitrct these other network computers to only cleaning what as in my original CCleaner.INI file - and not adding anything else that may be on their PC, but not on my PC?

Thanks very much, in advance.

Lloyd

I believe I understand your question.

The best way that I see to achieve this would be to override the embedded cleaning list (WinApp.ini and WinSys.ini) with slightly modified external files (WinApp1.ini and WinSys1.ini).

To do this there are a few simple steps:

1. Obtain copies of the embedded files. Sometimes they will be posted here, but since they haven't I will attach them to this post.

2. Unzip the files to the CCleaner directory.

3. Delete WinReg.ini (needed only for Registry Integrity scan), and rename WinApp.ini and WinSys.ini to WinApp1.ini and WinSys1.ini respectively.

4. Open WinApp1.ini and WinSys1.ini with a text editor (Notepad), and use the Replace Text function to replace all instances of "Default=True" with "Default=False". Save the modified files.

5. Open CCleaner and check what you want cleaned, then verify our work with a different computer.

6. Party! (Optional, but recommended)

Notes:

-After every update you will need to redo the above with the new embedded files.

-If you also use a WinApp2.ini you will need to perform step 4 on it aswell.

-Someone should make a dedicated/stickied thread for the embedded files.

It's not Telephone Support, but we are a very helpful community and we try our best. Also, we're free! :lol:

Embedded_INIs_v2.10.zip

Embedded_INIs_v2.10.zip

They call them fingers, but I've never seen them fing, or ger. WOAH there they go!!!!!!!

~Otto

How to use CCleaner on a Flash Drive (pre v2.0)

Mushu13,

Thanks very much for your reply. I think that sounds like a path to accomplish my goal.

So just to confirm my understanding, I would then distribute the following files to a temp directory on my network computers:

- portable CCleaner.EXE file

- customized WinApp1.ini and WinSys1.ini files (with Defaults all set to False)

- my customized CCleaner.INI file - with specific items set to True

Then I would execute CCleaner.EXE /AUTO

Does that sounds correct?

Also... i posted a Reply to the post that you linked to, asking Mr T if he could please post the embedded cleaning list files for the latest version - v2.10.618

Thanks again for your assistance. I really appreciate it. I am so looking forward to getting this to work as I invissioned.

Lloyd

Understood. Thanks very much for all the the information!!!

Now that I have CCleaner working the way Ineeded, I will happily make a $ contribution tomorrow.

Lloyd

Hello Lloyd,

Looks like you have been given some great advice.

I thought this thread might interest you as an Network Admin.

Running CCleaner over a domain to clean profiles, For Network Administrators and Domain controllers

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=98819

Let us know if it comes in handy.

Good luck,

:) davey

• 1 month later...

Another request to add a "sticky" topic like Advice for Domain controllers:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=14936

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
Another request to add a "sticky" topic like Advice for Domain controllers:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=14936

Piling on requests for this to be stickied

(Also thanks to the poster who posted the locale of the thread I mentioned, now I'm going to bookmark it before I forget :) )