What Makes Northern Lights Dance

YoKenny

If you haven't seen these in person then I would definitely save some money to be able to see them.

They are best in the Fall or early Spring out in a clear area without ambient lighting like somewhere on the Trans Canada Highway between Winnipeg and Calgary.

What Makes Northern Lights Dance

A collection of ground-based All-Sky Imagers (ASI) captures the aurora brightening caused by a substorm. This network is an important part of the THEMIS mission and is considered the sixth satellite.

By Marc Kaufman

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, July 25, 2008

The mysterious sudden brightening and wavelike movements of the aurora borealis, also called the Northern Lights, are caused by periodic explosions of magnetic energy 80,000 miles above Earth, NASA researchers reported.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...isrc=newsletter

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I've always wanted to see them Kenny, must be a wonderful thing to see.
You could go up north to Scotland but you'll have to pray to the weather &Deity to have clear skies

Or maybe go to one of the Nordic countries as they probably see them as well.

As an aside, I got this when looking at your link
I got tired of seeing that prompt so I chose Never ask again and Allow.

You can always change it back if you go to the Flash settings page:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/document...gs_manager.html

I was traveling back from Vancouver on my BMW R75 motorcycle back in '72 and was camping west of Winnipeg in mid September when I saw them. It was a real spiritual experience.

I can imagine what the explorers must have thought when they experienced the show.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user