Avast & Big Fish Games (that she blows!)

Corona

(I meant to write "thar she blows")

I have the latest av databases from Avast installed and around 1.5 hours ago Avast tagged the .exe file of one of my Big Fish games as a worm. After a few minutes I decided to tell Avast to leave it alone. Half hour later, same program, same warning. Again, go away. 15 minutes later it tagged another Big Fish game with the same worm. So I uninstalled Avast and am now using AVG 8 again. (Oh joy. I'm typing this with about 40% available memory.)

Obviously Avasts' new av database has some serious false positive problem. Big Fish games are certified clean. The problem may be arising out of Big Fishs' annoying "game client" which opens & shuts down their installed games. Matter of fact I'm pretty sure that's it, from what I've figured by tracing the problems when they happened.

So, who to beeyatch to....Big Fish, or Avast, or both. Yes, I've got all the time in the world to do both. And yes, I'm a born slob who'd rather scratch his ass with his free time. Well, I guess I gotta do what I gotta do. Notify them both and give them the info, like a peon employee who tells them what's mortally wrong, free of charge.

(I meant to write "thar she blows")

So, who to beeyatch to....Big Fish, or Avast, or both. Yes, I've got all the time in the world to do both. And yes, I'm a born slob who'd rather scratch his ass with his free time. Well, I guess I gotta do what I gotta do. Notify them both and give them the info, like a peon employee who tells them what's mortally wrong, free of charge.

Hi Corona,

You are not beeyatching, you are playing your role as free user and advisor to the software companies that provide you with the free software.Your use and reports are very important to them so they can maintain and improve their product.

You are not a peon.Consider yourself a "Quality Assurance Analyst" .

Good work,

:) davey

• Moderators
So I uninstalled Avast and am now using AVG 8 again. (Oh joy. I'm typing this with about 40% available memory.)

All you had to do was:

1. Upload the files in question to either Jotti or VirusTotal for a second opinion and to determine if it's a false positive.

2. If it was a false positive you could've very easily configured Avast to ignore the files until the next virus database update.

I just tried VirusTotal and Jotti on that 1st Big Fish game file and VT gave a 6/33, Jotti gave 3/20. Well, so much for 'clean' games. Actually the games are clean, it's BF games 'client' app that's dirty. I'm gonna have to tell Lucy she's got some splainin to do. :angry: But you know what's really really really funny, in both VT and Jotti, Avast didn't pick up a single thing. <_< It was CAT, Clam, FSecure, Panda, Sophos and Webwasher. Why dinna AVG pick it up either? Hmmmm. And Malwarebyte dinna find anything.