Switched back to xp and now problems

Hey all. Decided to put xp on my laptop, reformatted, installed an old version of xp and installed. Everything went perfect, installed all my favorite proggies, updated my xp (using an old version), all is good. One problem. No sound on the laptop. I have tried EVERYTHING! Went to toshiba, intel, conexant, etc. looking for drivers and nothing has worked.

I did a lot of reading on the web and many many people have had the same problem with other laptops, and mine in particular with the laptop not recognizing sound systems after upgrading to xp from vista. Has anyone else had this problem, or success in fixing it? I am at my wits end, and prepared to put the vista system back on it and spend the time reorganizing everything even though its a pain. One weird thing is the sound card and modem are intertwined somehow.

One quick unrelated question. Any programs that anyone suggests, or any easy way to partition the harddrive prior to a reinstall? I would like to keep the system files on a separate partition from my personal files.

Thanks ! :)

Tried that and it didnt work. I did see that on another site, but didn't seem to work for me.

As for model of my Toshiba, its a P100 PSPADC-MA605C. The specs are in my signature, and i know the audio is conexant. I got it from Futureshop. Stupid drivers. lol

Hi 1984,

So where do you stand as far as WinXP Home? Pro? SP1? SP2? SP3?

I am a "newbie" to all this sound card stuff and such.I learn by trying doing research related to specific problems like yours.

It has been interesting.Talldog is right about you need the MS UAA .This is either the KB835221 (for SP1) or the newer KB888111 (for SP1 or SP2).

To install the Microsoft UAA driver before the audio driver. Uninstall your

current audio driver, then install the UAA driver, then install the audio

driver.

The new driver may be the Conexant one listed at Talldog's link.

SP3 I am still looking into.

P.S. Latest I found so far.

Once XP SP3 is released, the HD audio hotfix (KB888111) would be installable on XP SP3.

Strange solution but seems to work for Toshiba conexant as well.He says not a UAA problem but codecs.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPo...5&SiteID=17

:) davey

Ill check some of those sites out andavari, i did browse through and try about a dozen different downloads and such to no avail. But i will keep trying. Gotta work 48 hours minimum from now till sunday so i wont have a lot of time to do it till at least monday. :(

k this drove me nuts, i tried like a gazillion drivers, went on forum after forum attempting fixes and finally went back to vista home premium. toshiba has the sound drivers in a file in the c drive, which i shall save if/when i ever attempt an xp install again. for the moment, i am vistified again.

If you can't get any help from the manufacturer or by googling then I would suggest this. For computer problems of any kind I would recommend this forum.

It has sub forums for

Operating Systems

Windows 95/98/ME, Windows XP Home and Professional, Windows NT/2000/2003, Windows Vista, Linux & Unix, Apple/DOS/PDA/Other.

Hardware

Internal Hardware, External Hardware, System Building and Upgrading.

Software

Business Applications, Games, All other Applications, Tips and Tricks, Graphics Design and Photo Editing, Audio and Video, Programming.

Internet & Networking

Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications, Networking, Web Site Development.

Security

AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods, Windows Defender, Am I infected? What do I do? Breaking Virus & Security News, Security Updates, HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal, Spyware and Malware Removal Guides and Reading Room.

Bleeping Computer Applications and Guides

Tutorials, Windows Startup Programs Database, Mini guides and how-tos - Simple answers to common questions.

General Topics

General Chat, Introductions, New User Orientation, The Speak Easy, Forum Games, News, Photo Albums, Images, and Videos, Bleeping Computer Announcements, Comments, & Suggestions, Tests and Scribbles.

I've been a member there for 18 months and its very good but they don't like you mensioning CCleaner I've been told off for doing that. They don't promote any type of registry editing. I have to PM each individual with the CCleaner and Recuva info. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best