Weird desktop background problem

CTskifreak

I'm trying to go for a no icon desktop. However, when I selected the option, I noticed about 2 minutes later that my background became....crappy. If you look in the June Desktop topic, my Audi R8 gets all these lines going through it. When I turned the icons back on, everything was good.

I tried switching to another picture and back, and the same thing happened. I have no idea what is going on.

Any suggestions???

AJ

• Moderators

I had weird desktop problems quite a while back, and it turned out to be a problem with the "Active Desktop" set-up.

I always keep a couple of "fixes" from Kellys Korner which helped in the past. If all else fails, you could always give them a try. Simple double click VBS files, which might just help make stuff work the way it should. A kick up the but sort of thing.

Active Desktop-Enable/Disable. No.16:

Desktop Icons-Enable/Disable: No. 72:

Kellys Korner:

Good luck.

I never understood Active Desktop and I dunna like the sound of it. I like my desktop inactive and complacent.

Years ago I made my desktop 'active', I dragged a small pic from the internet onto my desktop. It immediately became my wallpaper. A hideous over-pixellated tiny gif filling up a 19" monitor. God that was gross. And I remember that was back in the good old days before I knew of neat free programs & such...and broadband....so I reformatted. That was the style of fixing things at the time.

• Moderators

I've never seen wallpaper do that before. Maybe try some different wallpapers to see if the problem happens in them as well. Or check your wallpaper settings to make sure it's Centered not Stretched as stretching (typically the default option Windows chooses) can cause some distortions like a degradation in quality, and make sure the wallpaper you're using matches your desktop resolution, i.e.; if you're using 1024x768 find that wallpaper in the same size.

Andavari you are a genius. The image was 1600 by 1200, and I had it on stretch. It was good with icons on, but it messed up when it took them off. I went to the file in Paint.Net, opened a second canvas that was 1280 by 1024, copy and shrunk the image, applied it, took icons off, and NO PROBLEMS!!! WOOT!!

Thanks guys for all your help! No icons ftw!!!

june08desktopnotmesseducp2.jpg

AJ