Advice needed on Programs on Start Up

Little Miss Techie

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me something about programs on start up please.

I am very new using this program and so far so good.(fingers crossed)

When I ran the Startup option obviously it generated a list.(image below)

CCleanerStartup.jpg

My question please is, can any of these entries be removed to make my startup faster?

Currently it seems to take a long time to do a startup from a cold reboot or even just a restart.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Cheers and have a nice day

Little Miss Techie ... aka Dawn

australia-1.gif

There is no shame in not knowing, the shame lies in not finding out.

(Old Danish Proverb)

greatday-2.gif
(Old Danish Proverb)

Welcome Little Miss Techie from cold Canada

What are your system specifications?

Belarc Advisor is good to display that information:

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Welcome Little Miss Techie from cold Canada

What are your system specifications?

Belarc Advisor is good to display that information:

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Thank you so much, it is lovely to be welcomed to such a friendly and helpful forum.

We are about to come into our Winter soon also and I am not looking forward to it.

I just love the Summers here.

I did have 'Belarc Advisor' but thank you, it is a great little program to use.

I mainly use an external hard drive and numerous memory sticks, hence I have a lot of free space.

I have found using those, along with a regular maintenance program is what works best for my needs.

I do have dial up, but it is very quick and is as fast as most broadband in my area.

Not that broadband in the country/rural area is fast anyway........lol

I hope I have supplied all the info you require below.

Operating System System Model

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600) Acer Aspire SA10

Enclosure Type: Desktop

Processor a Main Circuit Board b

2.80 gigahertz Intel Celeron

16 kilobyte primary memory cache

256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Bus Clock: 133 megahertz

BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD R01-C1 02/23/2005

Drives Memory Modules c,d

80.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

66.83 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B [CD-ROM drive]

3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

ST380011A [Hard drive] (80.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 4JV4HJS3, rev 8.01, SMART Status: Healthy 224 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' is Empty

Slot 'A1' has 256 MB

Slot 'A2' is Empty

Slot 'A3' is Empty

Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 80.02 GB 66.83 GB free

Thankyou.gif

Cheers

Little Miss Techie ?aka Dawn

greatday-2.gif
(Old Danish Proverb)

Disk4mat and CTskifreak,

Thank you both so much your help here is very appreciated.

THANKY119.gif

Many thanks once again to all.

greatday-2.gif
(Old Danish Proverb)

2.80 gigahertz Intel Celeron
The Celeron processor is about 1/2 the speed of an equivalent P4 processor.

Slot 'A1' has 256 MB
You could add another 256 MB RAM into Slot 'A0'

Crucial.com's SCAN MY SYSTEM will tell you what type of RAM to get:

http://www.crucial.com

I'm not sure who is the cheapest RAM supplier in Australia.

As the old saying goes You can't have too much money or RAM :)

I love your Koala bears.

2378624070028911370wCmFcc_th.jpg

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

Hi Dawn, if you don't already have a program to enable/disable startup items, then I'd suggest getting hold of something like "What's Running".

Available here: (Freeware)

With it you can disable items in your startup by simply unchecking them. Any problems, and you can easily check an item and enable it again. A nice, safe way to try things.

t207_WhatsRunning.jpg

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me something about programs on start up please.

I am very new using this program and so far so good.(fingers crossed)

When I ran the Startup option obviously it generated a list.(image below)

CCleanerStartup.jpg

My question please is, can any of these entries be removed to make my startup faster?

Currently it seems to take a long time to do a startup from a cold reboot or even just a restart.

Many thanks.

Little Miss Techie ... aka Dawn

australia-1.gif

(Old Danish Proverb)

Hi Miss Techie

In addition to all the good advice you got here, I can throw in a link which can help you find out by yourself what are the programs you are running at start up ,their purpose ,and if these are really needed there.

http://www.techspot.com/startup/a/600/

Good luck ;)

Eli

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

Hello,

Hello Techie,

My system is similar to yours.

It had a long start-up list of enabled programs.

First,make sure you install the program "WhatsRunning" as recommended by DennisD in this thread.

It makes it very simple to Enable or Disable start-up items.

Just start the program and click on "Startup" then make your changes.

If I was using your system,I would Enable the following items for my start-up.

1 Windows Defender....................Security Software

2 AGRSMMSG..............................Modem

3 MsnMsgr...................................optional

4 MySpaceIM...............................optional

5 ERUNT............................Automatic Registry Back-up only first start-up each day. YOU MUST GET THIS.

To me all the others can be disabled.They will start when needed otherwise they slow down start-up too much.

If you change your mind on some they can be easily changed with "WhatsRunning" then Reboot.

You are going to see a big change in start-up time.

You need some other software to protect you. They are all free,fast and important.

SpywareBlaster protects you from dangerous sites,spyware and adware.It is not a program.It does not affect your processing time at all and very quick to update whenever you want.Simple and effective.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

See this link as regards ERUNT,NTREGOPT and Replicator programs. THESE ARE IMPORTANT.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=102905

Good luck,

:) davey

Wow !!!

Thank you so much everyone, your sound help, advice and experience here is very appreciated.

I am not going to have much of a chance to follow any of this up until next week, but I just wanted to thank you all for taking the time to reply and offer suggestions.

ThankYou3.jpg

Cheers and have a great day,

greatday-2.gif
(Old Danish Proverb)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there!

A couple of comments on your system: Adobe Reader is a real resource hog, i threw that one out years ago. It always took forever to start when you wanted to open a PDF document. Then Adobe said they had made it start quicker.... yep, only by sneaking a so-called "Quick start" into your Windows startup, so you have to wait for it every time you start Windows, instead of when you actually need the program... That way, they make Windows look slower, and their own program faster. You could of course just remove the "Quick start", but i would recommend getting rid of Adobe (or Acrobat) Reader alltogether, and installing Foxit Reader instead (www.foxitsoftware.com). It's a fraction of the size, it uses a fraction of the resources, starts in a fraction of the time, and will do the same job. Also 100% free.

A lot of sites who have manuals etc. for download in PDF format has a comment saying "You need Adobe/Acrobat Reader to open this". NOT true! There are better alternatives...

Getting rid of as much of the automatic startups as possible is one of the most effective ways to revive your computer. Far too many applications put some unnecessary function in automatic startup without even asking you. There are lots of programs that can show you what programs / processes are running or autostarting, but most of them aren't very helpful unless you have some knowledge of those programs. From a list like the one you attached, most people, like yourself wouldn't know what they could delete. A great program for this is "The Ultimate Troubleshooter" from AnswersThatWork (http://www.answersthatwork.com). They actually explain in layman's terms what programs you should keep or remove, their own experience with those programs etc., and they keep a database of known programs that's updated on a regular basis. I've found it very useful. The downside is that you have to pay a few bucks (30$?) for a fully functional version.

They actually explain in layman's terms what programs you should keep or remove, their own experience with those programs etc., and they keep a database of known programs that's updated on a regular basis. I've found it very useful. The downside is that you have to pay a few bucks (30$?) for a fully functional version.

Who would want to pay $30 for something they can get for free from many recommended sites from this forum?

Hmm... why would anyone want to increase boot time?

Taken out of context your question makes sense.In context it doesn't.

"You can remove several to increase (the speed up of) boot time while not losing any real functionality."

Who would want to pay $30 for something they can get for free from many recommended sites from this forum?

Taken out of context your question makes sense.In context it doesn't.

"You can remove several to increase (the speed up of) boot time while not losing any real functionality."

I know, i know... just couldn't help myself... :P

• Moderators
Hello there!

A couple of comments on your system: Adobe Reader is a real resource hog, i threw that one out years ago. It always took forever to start when you wanted to open a PDF document. Then Adobe said they had made it start quicker.... yep, only by sneaking a so-called "Quick start" into your Windows startup, so you have to wait for it every time you start Windows, instead of when you actually need the program... That way, they make Windows look slower, and their own program faster. You could of course just remove the "Quick start", but i would recommend getting rid of Adobe (or Acrobat) Reader alltogether, and installing Foxit Reader instead (www.foxitsoftware.com).

Although Foxit Reader ("Foxit PDF Reader") is small and fast it can run into problems with some PDF documents which is why I went back to using Adobe Reader. There's always the free Adobe Reader Speedup to allow Adobe Reader to start ages faster, and it even works with current versions.