Portable applications

Yeah those are great. My thumb drive is loaded with those apps. I use some of them on my machines in place of the full install versions to. The portable FireFox 3 is a great way to try the FireFox 3 beta on your machine without messing with your current install.

• Moderators

I tried a version of Firefox portable sometime last year, and back then it was painfully slow to run. Typing was the worst, waiting for the text to catch up with you're typing.

Has this improved any?

The obvious thing is to try it of course, but I'm interested in other opinions.

I tried a version of Firefox portable sometime last year, and back then it was painfully slow to run. Typing was the worst, waiting for the text to catch up with you're typing.

Has this improved any?

The obvious thing is to try it of course, but I'm interested in other opinions.

Dennis where you running it from a thumb drive? If you were the quality and age of the thumb drive makes a huge difference. I run these portable apps off a 2GB Verbatim thumb drive and I cannot tell the difference between it and if it was installed. It takes Firefox longer to launch but once it has it runs perfect.

Just so you know you don't have to run these things from portable devices. You can run these right on your machine. Just put them any folder you want and run. I use the portable versions of several apps on my machines in place of the full install versions.

Never thought to give it a try Hazel, but I'll do that, and let you know.

Maybe the Opera God will smile down on me for once. :D

Have you tried the new Opera 9.5 beta 2? Give it a shot and see if it will run for you. It's a huge improvement over Opera 9.27. Very stable and loads pages faster than any browser I have ever used.

No change. :D

Opera 9.5Beta2:

t905_Opera9.5Beta2.jpg

Opera 9.27USB:

t906_OperaUSB9.27.jpg

Just as well I prefer Firefox.

That is un real. It's like the computer gods are saying, "Dennis D you will not run Opera on this computer no matter what! EVER!!" :blink:

That is un real. It's like the computer gods are saying, "Dennis D you will not run Opera on this computer no matter what! EVER!!" :blink:

I think the problem has nothing to with a remote server versus a very local server and/or host. :) davey

• Moderators

Unreal it is. I think I've mentioned this before, but it's one of the most ironic things I've come across. A web browser that refuses to connect to the web.

Every insignificant little program I've got on my pc with an update option, automatically launches my broadband if I select "check for update".

But Opera won't play ball. Ah well, it remains one of lifes mysteries.

• Moderators
So you finally got Opera to work for you?

As if.

Nope, just had a try of it after first connecting to the web. I only have the one problem with Opera, it won't connect no matter what I try. One things for sure, I aint trying any more.

Strange problem for a web browser.