New Logo for 2008

MrG

• Admin

We've had our original Piriform logo for over 2 years now. It was originally a quick placeholder design that was going to be replaced, but it ended up staying for much longer than anticipated. So we've decided that 2008 is the time to upgrade it with a professional redesign!

So this:

logo2.png

Will become this:

logow_nograd.gif

The logo will go live over the next few days. We hope you like the change! :)

View the full blog post

I like the old text because its bold, slightly italic and has a shadow effect. I like the new pear so can't you put the new pear in the old text? ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

I like the new font and pear but I miss the shadow and italic effect of the old. Add the shadow and italic font and the compromise will be good. I really didn't like the bold font before it looked a little too sloppy.. Take the current font make it italic and add the shadow and it will look much better :)

I noticed the new pear in the address bar.

Looks like a drip to me. New logo is ok, the text is a pretty bog-standard/plain. Quite like the new pear but less iconic than the old one which I think I probably prefer. But good work anyway, at least no-one's said they don't like it.

Does this mean the cool light-up pear logo at top right of CCleaner itself will be replaced?

Not that we're taking a vote, but as long as we're expressing opinions - I would take the old logo with the new pear. ;-)

Not that we're taking a vote, but as long as we're expressing opinions - I would take the old logo with the new pear. ;-)

At the end of the day though it's just a picture of a pear. If you saw that somewhere else you wouldn't recognise it from any other, whereas the old logo was instantly different/recognisable. Just my opinion of course, not criticising :)

What's the significance of the pear?

Piriform means pear shaped - as in "It's all gone pear shaped". From Wikipedia:

mostly limited to the United Kingdom and Australasia. It describes a situation that went awry, perhaps horribly wrong. A failed bank robbery, for example, could be said to have "gone pear-shaped". The origin for this use of the term is in dispute. The OED cites its origin as within the Royal Air Force; as of 2003 the earliest citation there is a quote in the 1983 book Air War South Atlantic (ISBN 0-283-99035-X). Others date it to the RAF in the 1940s, from pilots attempting to perform aerial manoeuvres such as loops. These are difficult to form perfectly, and are usually noticeably distorted—i.e., pear-shaped.

Piriform is a mathematical entity, defined by the formula a(4).y(2)=b(2).x(3).(2a-x). And yes, the result is a pear shaped curve.

Yes but they didn't name themselves after a mathematical equation ;)

If I'm honest, I prefer the old logo.

The new one is just a standard font with a nice peer picture.

The old one is more a logo as it is designed and not a picture.

But hey, I'm still liking your software. Good work.