AVG upgrades popular security suite

q231

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition is one of the most popular products on CNET Download.com, with 61 million downloads. On Thursday, AVG publisher Grisoft plans to introduce the full version of AVG Anti-Virus 8.0. This upgrade will feature significant changes to the program, integrating the previously stand-alone tools of AVG Anti-Spyware, AVG Anti-Rootkit, and recent Grisoft purchase LinkScanner as well as showcasing an entirely new interface.

Download.com

I don't know how I feel about this. AVG AV and AS work flawless for me now. This sounds like a major change and a potential nightmare like Ad-Aware 2007. I hope there is a nice long transition period before they cut off support for the current version. I want to see how the new version works out before I upgrade.

• Moderators

I have used avg antispy for ages (since ewido days) and like you Anthony really hope they do it right.

Sometimes I forget I have it installed as it causes zero conflicts, It also has features I sometimes forget about, like the file shredder (with paranoid mode!) autostart locations and running processes, and what connection to the internet are running.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I'm actually pretty optimistic about this. AVG has been really solid since day one(not without problems but I've never seen huge ones) and the idea of only using ONE scanner for spyware and antivirus and having it done right is a very promising thing.

However, if its bad then I will just quit using both products all together. :P (I've been using SAS more then AVG lately anyway but I still use AVG quite a bit)

I am going to have to go to the AVG web site and forum later and look into this and see whats planned. I wonder if AVG AS will still be offered as a stand alone app for people that don't use AVG AV 8.0? I wonder if current installs of AVG AV will auto update to AVG 8.0 ( I hope not)? I hope there is a couple months before they shut off support for 7.5.

I hope all goes well and AVG has been excellent so I don't really think it will mess up this but you never know.

• Moderators

And it will be huge. I am a great fan of AVG and have used the a/v for years, well into v6. The first downloads were about 4 mb, now it is around 18 mb. Updates to the a/s are huge (mine stops when trying to download the 10 mb file, so it just ain't updated). All this virtually eliminates avg from dial-up users. Still, virtually all updates from ms/ are useless to dial-uppers due to their size. What's OE7, 20 mb? Even adobe update, a twiddling file reader, which the silly system keeps telling me I need, is 26 mb or so.

Well breaking with the trend of the thread I'm pretty pessimistic about this. I don't want AVG AS. Or AVG Rootkit. Or AVG LinkScanner. I want AVG Anti-virus <_<

I dumped AVG AS when it introduced a background service that had to be running just to scan with it, the same with AdAware. My worry is this new version will add yet more background services and soak up more resources. If so I'll be switching to Avast or Antivir :mellow:

Well breaking with the trend of the thread I'm pretty pessimistic about this. I don't want AVG AS. Or AVG Rootkit. Or AVG LinkScanner. I want AVG Anti-virus <_<

I dumped AVG AS when it introduced a background service that had to be running just to scan with it, the same with AdAware. My worry is this new version will add yet more background services and soak up more resources. If so I'll be switching to Avast or Antivir :mellow:

I am feeling pretty much the same as you. I am not looking forward to this. Hopefully the free version will be stripped down version of the paid version or you can shut off the things you don't want to use. I have a bad feeling about this update. I will also be looking at Avast or Antivir if things don't go well.

• Moderators

From what I've read, it's the paid version, for as you say there is no freeware version yet, just a trial.

However some say you get the toolbar even if you tick or not

http://www.dozleng.com/updates/index.php?s...amp;#entry76177

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

From what I've read, it's the paid version, for as you say there is no freeware version yet, just a trial.

However some say you get the toolbar even if you tick or not

http://www.dozleng.com/updates/index.php?s...amp;#entry76177

I could understand them adding the tool bar to the download of the free version with an option to deselect it like CCleaner does to make some money because after all it's free but to do that with a paid version I just don't like it.